Thread: Would you help me choose a Camcorder and Mic before I start chopping my fingers off?

Default Would you help me choose a Camcorder and Mic before I start chopping my fingers off?

I am using Clip MIc Digital Pro from Senheiser in to Filmic Pro on an iphone 6.

And a go pro, you know the ones with 13 minute battery life?

Any way I shoot car documentaries and inside the car and I need to sound like these guys - no.... not the bloke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kfC0xu---s

I'd really appreciate your help.

The Iphone 6 is amazing a camera but - its small, the screen goes off, the filmic pro app sometimes forgets the mic, and there are sun glares all the time.

I need to plug in the best mic you recommend start driving and talk and know that the sound will at least be amazing.

So I guess I need a camera that has a good sound card?? Is that the right terminology?

The amount I have to do in post is crazy, but as a voice over I dont know a hoot about filming. I suppose also I need to consider my hideously low subscriber numbers when it comes to budget, this is still an experiement this channel. When it comes to mics though, I do know that the Clip Mic Digital might be ok with a better sound card, but equally you might suggest an in car solution for static condenser mic?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh3...czmlAg6yjqilFA

End result is to be able to click and go making post - 10 times easier.
    Last edited by Howard Ritchie; 05-08-2016 at 09:52 AM.

It's not clear (to me) if you use the iPhone to record video or audio or both !?? Or the go pro to shoot video and I phone to record audio !?

If you are working on a budget and want a simple no nonsense set up I would suggest recording your senheiser lavelier into a separate digital audio recorder for example zoom h1 or h2n and syncing (matching up) the audio on the timeline in your editing program

http://thinkinghard.com/blog/HowToSy...rdedAudio.html

Zoom h1...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cKB1WoPlgqg
    Last edited by enc; 05-08-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I have seen that option - but I would rather find a way to record into one item and clean up and process in post.

The audio sync is a good option for some things but not for in car type shooting - there are too many takes and too many scenes to match up in post.

Yes at present the Iphone is capturing all via Filmic pro.

I watched the sample video so I can definitely say that you aren't aiming very high (that's probably good)

The female protagonist looks like she has a lavalier clipped to her shirt - this is most likely going to a zoom as noted in an earlier post

The dialogue is absolutely horrible so I'm guessing that these guys are doing it in one take (at most)

The car noise is obviously from a third-rate sound effects library - if you go that route please don't pay more than 50p

If you are getting paid for this, I'd probably look at a run-and-gun video camera from the canon line, a zoom for audio capture, a proper editing package like final cut

The in-car shots seem incredibly stable - too stable to be real - unless jag-u-r cars are really that smooth

Now the colors in the sample video looked very good - this could mean that they are using a real digital cinema camera instead of just a video setup - in which case you probably want to look at a red camera with all the fixins'

Is there two brand recommendations I can look at?

1. Camera under 500
    2. Mic - dont mind under 300 I guess I need to stick with lav for in car and so on.

Ideally I want to record film and audio in the same device to save issues in post.

Here is my lav at work - I spend hours in post and its still over modding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ueu3TA99Sg

Not sure what a zoom is.. .but as a one man band, I think recording audio seperate is going to be a massive annoyance for me. Almost not really any different than shooting on filmic and spending hours on post.

???

your video looked and sounded great to me

are you being too picky?

there was an odd horizontal lighting effect (maybe the sun glare you mentioned) near the beginning, but other than that I didn't really find anything out of whack with it

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    ???

your video looked and sounded great to me

are you being too picky?

there was an odd horizontal lighting effect (maybe the sun glare you mentioned) near the beginning, but other than that I didn't really find anything out of whack with it

Well.

1. The first link was over modded, due to my having to massively gain it.

2. There was hours of footage I could not use because the app drops the mic and you dont know at the time.

So I was thinking that a half decent small camcorder is going to be able to handle point click, plug mic in, check level on headphones, boom done???

Or maybe even a
    Sony HDR MV1

and not use a lav mic at all...?

Personally I'd go with a decent lav mic if you have one - there is no substitute for simply getting the microphone as close as possible to the person who is speaking

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Ritchie View Post
    So I was thinking that a half decent small camcorder is going to be able to handle point click, plug mic in, check level on headphones, boom done???
    Absolutely righ!. But as Zam says - use the lav. Even a poor one close up will yield better results than a good one a few feet away - especially in a noisy environment. And your Sennheiser is far from a poor one.
    The problem you face is precious few camcorders at that price point have both mic in and headphone and, as you've discovered, you really need to monitor to get the maximum lever rather than having to compensate in post.
    But don't dismiss separate recording or audio out of hand. It's not that time consuming - just ensure you do a sharp slap at the beginning of each take so you can line up on waveforms (or you could make use of software solutions like PluralEyes to sync.
    In your case, as a one man band, with two sources, I'd be inclined to leave the audio recorder constantly running so you don't need to worry about switching on and off. In fact, if the session is not that long, you could leave camcorder and audio running. Sync once only.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Personally I'd go with a decent lav mic if you have one - there is no substitute for simply getting the microphone as close as possible to the person who is speaking
    Yes but if it goes under the chin, it is obscured, but yes I agree with you, but I am wondering about kit, that might make my life easier.