Thread: Advice to go into 4K on a budget

Question Advice to go into 4K on a budget

Hi guys, I hope you can give me some sound advice. Like the title says I'm looking for a 4K solution that fits my budget.
    I really hope to make an investment that I won't regret a few months later because something better has come to the market for half the price. Though I suppose that's hard to avoid.
    There are quite a few 4K shooting devices nowadays and I fear 2016 will bring many more.
    So on the one hand I want to wait a bit until perhaps a better budget option presents itself and on the other hand don't want to wait until the summer has passed because I'm more productive in summer.

I'm hoping to spend less than 1000 so about 800. and I want a device that shoots DCI 4K resolution instead of UHD.
    This all leads to the two questions I hope to get some good advice on:
    Should I buy now or wait a bit?
    What should I wait for or what should I buy?
    The cats are watching us...

What about your workflow - are you set up for 4K?

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    What about your workflow - are you set up for 4K?
    Yeah, got myself a large 4K secondary monitor and a workstation that can handle the files.
    Albeit not top of the line high-tech equipment it is at least good enough to edit and animate in 4K.

I get the idea te only the Panasonic GH4 and the Samsung NX500 currently fall into my budget and are able to capture DCI 4K.
    Some people tell me to wait for the next GoPro and tell wild stories about 8K resolutions but that seems too good to be true to be honest. Besides it's not even announced yet as far as I know...

My video club has a gh4 and it is a nice unit

ive never seen the Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Some people tell me to wait for the next GoPro and tell wild stories about 8K resolutions but that seems too good to be true to be honest. Besides it's not even announced yet as far as I know...
    GoPro's are amazing little things and incredibly good at what they are intended for. Unless you make full on action sequence videos they are rather limited as serious movie cameras.
    Last edited by enc; 05-08-2016 at 11:44 AM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    GoPro's are amazing little things and incredibly good at what they are intended for. Unless you make full on action sequence videos they are rather limited as serious movie cameras.
    Good argument.

I'm actually very intrigued by the DJI Osmo and the Phantom 3 4K. Both can capture DCI 4K but there are some downsides. Like the fact that they have a small sensor and a fixed focus and aperture and a minimum focus distance of approximately 1.5 meters.
    On the plus side they are considerably cheaper, the Phantom can fly and the Osmo is a very good steady-cam.
    All in all for the price of a new GH4 including a decent lens I can actually also get a Phantom 4...