Thread: Both cameras failed to record

Default Both cameras failed to record

Hi. I am pretty new to video shooting but have worked as a stills photographer for around 20 years. I had a project to shoot a promo video of a mandolin ensemble (of which I am a member) while we were in a recording studio making a CD.

I had an EOS 5D MkII on on tripod with a Tascam recorder on top with a cable from the Tascam to into the sound input. I had an EOS 6D on another tripod with a Vivitar zoom mic plugged into that camera. Both cameras also had USB OTG cables plugged in so that I could set them up from my phone using DSLR Controller, although when they were started the phone was not connected to either cable.

Now the odd bit. I started the 6D first. It recorded a whole 4 seconds (including me walking away from it, having just set it going) and then stopped. I then started the 5MkII but it recorded nothing. As I could only see the fronts of them I didn't know they had stopped. I had to join the ensemble and play music so couldn't monitor the cameras.

Because of time constraints we didn't have time to shoot this again.

When I got home I put both cameras back on their tripods and connected the same equipment to them, including the USB OTG cables. None of the settings had been changed. Both cameras recorded several times for their full duration without one failure.

The only difference I can think of is that the location had changed. The 5D not recording could be down to user error, but the 6D recorded 4 seconds, so what was going on there. Any ideas would be very welcome. I really need to learn from this and not make the same mistake in a job I am paid for.

Thanks for your time.

Well if you are getting paid to make a video you need to be monitoring the audio and video as you record

A big monitor might help if you need to be strumming on the banjo at the same time, as well as a headset from the audio capture

Luckily I wasn't getting paid, nor was anything particularly expected from this by anyone other than me. While I agree about monitoring (which I wasn't really in a position to do in this case), the more important aspect is WHY is might have happened. If anyone has a suggestion as to what might have caused one camera to stop after four seconds and the other not to record at all, that would be really useful.

FYI, banjos are not usually used in mandolin ensembles.

Blog Entries

I would suggest that it was either a "fast finger feck-up" whereby you were so keen to get recording that you pressed the button too weakly or quickly in the case of the 5D, or did a double-press in the case of the 6D which started to record but then shut down. On my Canon XH if you press the record button twice it starts to record and then, after a few seconds stops, as if it has to go through a set of actions regardless.

Or the batteries were flat.

5. Default

We do something similar in our studio, but with a laptop set up as a remote. It provides confirmation of recording status as well as a preview and other benefits. With the file size limitations you have to stop-start the recording every song or two to capture a whole show. Normally the camera's owner is playing bass so someone else has to man the laptop, but in this case we're hosting another band so he's running the laptop remote himself.

Attached Images Attached Images

"I would suggest that it was either a "fast finger feck-up" whereby you were so keen to get recording that you pressed the button too weakly or quickly in the case of the 5D, or did a double-press in the case of the 6D which started to record but then shut down. On my Canon XH if you press the record button twice it starts to record and then, after a few seconds stops, as if it has to go through a set of actions regardless.

Or the batteries were flat."

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The only one of those possibilities that I can discount is the flat battery one. I had just changed them on both cameras and the subsequent recordings at home were done with the cards and batteries still in from the shoot.

The other options are possible. I don't think I did that but it has to be a possibility and to be honest, I was so zonked from the long recording session that it could have happened that way. I will try to be aware of that in future. Even if I didn't double tap this time it is worth being aware of what can happen. Thanks again for the tip.
    Last edited by jhmaw; 05-02-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    We do something similar in our studio, but with a laptop set up as a remote. It provides confirmation of recording status as well as a preview and other benefits. With the file size limitations you have to stop-start the recording every song or two to capture a whole show. Normally the camera's owner is playing bass so someone else has to man the laptop, but in this case we're hosting another band so he's running the laptop remote himself.

That's a good option. I don't currently have a laptop, but I'm sure that could be sorted. Do you think I could monitor more than one camera simultaneously?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jhmaw View Post
    That's a good option. I don't currently have a laptop, but I'm sure that could be sorted. Do you think I could monitor more than one camera simultaneously?
    I kind of doubt it will run two cameras. Perhaps it's possible to run two instances of the software on one machine. I'll see if I can find out more, at least the name of the program so you can research it.