Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Videos - What's Going Wrong?

Lightbulb Travel Videos - What's Going Wrong?

Hey everyone,

Since late last year I got back to my youtube account and started making more regular content in the form of travel videos - mostly so I would have something to play with and generally practice new editing techniques with.

Skip to now, and about 10 vids later I'm noticing a variation in the number of views that the videos are getting - but more importantly, the stats are telling me that most people don't make it to half way through every video. So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? I'd love it if you could take a look at these two vids and let me know what switches you off and makes you stop watching.

Here's a video with 250 views:

and here's a video with 80 views:

Blog Entries

Okay, I'm going to be blunt.

Nice holiday vids. I'm sure your friends and relatives enjoyed them but, as information films they are poor. That's why I wouldn't normally watch them more than half way. The sound (ie commentary) is awful, especially in the second (Basel) video I couldn't hear half of what the protagonist was saying.

So, that's probably what's happening. People are starting to watch them, getting bored and moving on. Sorry but you did ask...

The characters were natural on camera

Most of the cuts were a good length - none were too long - a few were too short for me

I think the camera was out of focus in a couple of spots

Except for the ambient classical music in the second video, the choice of music was abysmal

Both videos held my interest until the end

Hey thanks so much for this so far. Really appreciate it.
    In reply to Rob, in terms of Sound (voices), do the voices need to pronouned clearer or do the levels need taking up above the music?

It's not the first time I've been told about the music, so maybe I'll take the hint, especially if it's a big turn off.
    So perhaps we should work on creating a more informative style.

Blog Entries

These are two entirely different videos.The first is a fun record of a holiday, the second is an attempt at a rough guide.

If you're worried about hits, the simple question to ask yourself is who is going to watch it.

The first - as Tim, mate of Rob, I'll watch it and have a laugh at you enjoying your holiday. As Tim, who doesn't know Rob, I might watch 30 secs, conclude "this is a guy on holiday" and move on.It's a video for family and friends, there's nothing wrong with this, but you can't expect it to appeal to people who don't know you. There's only room in the world for a certain number of Zoella type bloggers and the standards of the successful ones seems incredibly high.

The second - it attempts to be a rough guide (I hesitate to say travelogue as this conjures up images of 1980s home videos) but whilst there's nothing wrong with a quirky guide, it is very space on information. I don't mean fact like dates, dimensions etc - leave that for the 19080s travelogues - i mean we are rarely told where we are. if I'm considering a visit to Basel and something in your vid looks interesting, I want o know what it's called. Too much of the vid was irrelevancies about you - how you got lost, for example - these little stories can work well, but I'd suggest only if they lead to something (for example you can plan a whole film around how your looking for such and such a place, get lost, but on your travels happen upon several other interesting places and PEOPLE. People are always more interesting - and I mean other people, not just you and your girlfriend.

As others have said, the music is appalling and the audio quality in the second is rubbish (not quite so important in the first as it's for a different audience)

Going back to views, I don't this this has anything to do with how good a video is or how good the content is (at least not until you get into the 100s of thousands of views. Initially it's to do with who's been tagged/sent links/subscribed to you channel, then it's to do with where your vid appears in search engines.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Wot Tim said.

Plus, to answer your question on the audio, it needs to be clear. You know what you said, you've heard it ten times in the edit. The viewer only hears it once, doesn't know what it's "supposed" to sound like and therefore it needs to be clear, understandable and coherent. Look at the travel show on BBC News, very much a laid-back show but all the presenters wear a lavalier mic and speak clearly. The levels need to be way above that of any incidental music and not drowned out by atmos either.

As for the rest... Tim has put it really well. It's a nice holiday video, fun to watch if I knew you and your friends but not captivating or informative as a travel video.

Any yes, I think the music is crap too!

Ok, great this is all really helpful.
    I'm not particularly focussed on views at this point, as I'm more interested in creating engaging videos that people are going to enjoy watching. So that 50% dropping out is way more important to me.

In the Center Parcs video I hit about 50% of viewers remaining at around 0:54, during the Pancake House after the swimming pool. In fact about 65% of people have stopped watching by the end.
    In the Basel video I hit about 50% of viewers remaining at around 1:06, around the church just after we get lost. About 55% of people have stopped watching by the end.

We tried squeezing in more information and facts into a Disneyland Paris video, but it's a similar story, with 50% of viewers remaining at 1:22, and 63% dropping out by the end.

These could be because of music or simply not giving any interesting information. As most web people don't know about the main character, they need to be getting something informative from the video, which we're not supplying.
    I don't know anyone yet who has said they liked the music (apart from me), so I'm willing to move over to a different style, perhaps something more ambient that isn't so distracting.

Blog Entries

Do you have access to stats for similar videos? Perhaps this is the norm? Unless someone has asked me specifically to view a video, I rarely watch until the end. Even then, I often bail after a minute. And for this type of video viewers have often found out what they need in the first 30 seconds or so.

From a common sense perspective you want people to share, not watch to the end. But are people likely to share if they're looking for advice? Probably not (watch, get information, look at next one). However, if you've made someone laugh in the first 10 seconds, they'll likely share, like and comment. I have no background in this, but from a common sense point of view I would ensure the first 30 seconds are spot on, i.e. avoid "in jokes" and appeal to your target. This is not the case for your center parcs video where you spent bloody ages going through loads of go pro on a pole shots in the water park. And with loads of in jokes with your mates.

Bottom line.

• Get the first 30 second polished. It doesn't matter if people stop viewing if they like, comment or share
    • Get a purpose and stick to it. Are these holiday videos or fact videos? If fact videos, pack it with quirky, fun, unseen facts.
    • Get a uniform style and stick with it. Do you keep the facts to pop ups and have you and your mates messing around on camera? Do you have a straight guy and an idiot etc.
    • Do you really want people to click on the videos to learn or are you just making fun videos for people to watch.
    • Teach your mates how to use their cameras.

Edit: Also explain what you're doing at the front of the video.

Thanks Marc.

I'm generally seeing that if people stay to 30 seconds, they stay until a minute, which is where it begins to dropout. I've been aiming for the 3-minute mark, but perhaps I need to keep it limited to around 1 minute.
    Identifying the target audience seems to be a biggie here. It's something I'd normally focus on first, but in this case I started these videos for fun and mostly just as a nice way to look back at some past times. If I'm to focus on building an audience I'll need to decide who that audience is and then tailor it more towards them.

I'm interested in the Center Parcs vid, as I spent way too long trying to get the opening just right. There's a lot of videos on Youtube about Center Parcs, but most are extremely long and are mainly people talking to camera about what they want to eat later in the day or what they've packed. I went for a fast-cut straight to the fun approach, but I'm interested this didn't really work. Perhaps the talking to camera is needed a little to give it all some perspective or to properly tell a story. Maybe that's what it is - there's no story.

One other thing I'm wondering could be driving people away - titles. I've had a few videos titled 'Honest guide to...' and more recently '2 days in...' I'm wondering if the title gives people the expectation that they're going to be watching a guide, but when they start watching the video and there's not much of guide in there, so they click away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BritishEye View Post

I've had a few videos titled 'Honest guide to...' and more recently '2 days in...' I'm wondering if the title gives people the expectation that they're going to be watching a guide, but when they start watching the video and there's not much of guide in there, so they click away.
    Duh.

Sorry mate but I think there's a bit of a clue there. If someone clicks on the vid expecting to see a guide to a location, they might wait a short while until they realise that it isn't actually a guide, just another holiday movie.

A guide (and the name is a bit of a giveaway) will take you by the hand and lead you through a place or a situation. Your videos don't do that. In the world of infotainment "content is king". You need facts, presented well and relevant to your target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishEye View Post

One other thing I'm wondering could be driving people away - titles.
    In other words, you can blame the music, you can blame the titles, you can blame the alignment of Mars and Venus but the bottom line is... The videos are not interesting enough.

Sorry to be so blunt but someone had to say it.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 04-26-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast