Thread: Advice on buying Sony HDR-CX900E or equivalent in the UK

Default Advice on buying Sony HDR-CX900E or equivalent in the UK

First post here.
    I'd call myself a newbie with limited technical knowledge of video cameras.

I used to work for an 'adult' studio where i sometimes shot for them using i think a Canon XF100 or similar. The camera was usually set up for me and all i needed to do was focus occasionally.

I'm now doing this on my own so need a camera, it is worth noting that i am not shooting high end professional scenes but rather 'amateur' scenes almost exclusively in peoples homes. I will have a couple of lights.

I have found the Sony HDR-CX900E, this looks to be perfect for my needs. Problem is i can only find it from the Sony store at the RRP of 1199.00, it is available from online shops for as little as 782 but every one I've found is abroad with dubious reviews so i will not take that risk.

Editing is not an issue as i have others to do that.

I liked the Sony HDR-CX900E Camcorder for these reasons:

• It's light, most filming will be handheld.
    • I'm told the lens and sensor are great quality
    • I don't need to be shooting in 4k for at least a couple of years.
    • I read the image stabilization is very good.
    • It records in both AVCHD and MPEG4 simultaneously, this is ideal for me as i can upload clips to websites with the mpeg4 and use the AVCHD for the dvd/movie version.
    • Fairly decent stills (for my purpose) can be grabbed from the video.
    • It has WiFi, also very useful for me. (I'm also interested to find out if i could live stream using the wifi or if it is just for transferring files, can't find anything about that)

My top budget is 1000 but ideally i'd like to spend 800

So i either need a place i can walk into (In the West Midlands-ish area) to buy the camera, a reputable UK online store where i can buy with confidence or an alternative camera.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i would like to purchase the camera in the next 2 weeks.

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mastapeace; 04-20-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Park Cameras and Bristol Cameras are both reputable firms that will sell you one for around 1000, but not local to you.

I picked up my own Canon XF100 on eBay for about 1000 (took a while to get one at that price). In fact all three cameras I've bought have been second hand. No problem.

But if I wanted new, and had about 1000 to spend, the CX1000 is exactly the camera I'd go for.
    Tim

Thanks, I could make a trip if i really have to. I can't find a review for CX1000, can you post a link?

Blog Entries

Sorry. Idiot me! I meant to say I'd buy the CX900 - ie I was validating your decision.
    I wasn't suggesting you make the trip, just that you order from them. Distance selling means that you can return it if you don't get on with it. (Which means you can try it out at hoome arther than in the shop so in some ways better)
    Tim

hehe I see what you mean now, and why I assumed I needed to go there rather than order online is beyond me, think it was a senior moment. Thursday are late nights so i'm going to call them and see what they can do, thanks.

Now I am torn...

Canon XA10 or Sony HDR-CX900E? I can get the Canon for 1049

Blog Entries

The big advantage of the XA10 is the onboard facilities for adding balanced mics.
    The big advantage of the CX900 is the sensor.
    You can overcome the shortcomings of the CX900 by using an external recorder or a preamp (Beachtek, Juiced link) - but this will add to cost - but maybe not necessary now, or you have something? Sony's proprietary add on pre-amp for the CX900 is extremely expensive.
    You can't overcome the smaller sensor which is a plus for low light.
    Run & gun with audio would lead me towatds the Canon. Otherwise I'd go with the Sony.

I'm not saying these are the only differences.

I don't think you can simultaneously record in different formats on the Canon, which you listed as a plus with the Sony.
    Tim