Thread: Volunteer opportunity (videography/photography) for veterinary charity in SRI LANKA

Default Volunteer opportunity (videography/photography) for veterinary charity in SRI LANKA

Hi guys,

I am a UK vet running a charity for the street dogs in Sri Lanka. We are looking for volunteers to come out and help us film and photograph our work. Ideally we would like someone with a drone, Go Pro and/or Glide Cam to produce videos of a spectacular standard that can raise our profile. The charity is based in Talalla in the tropical south of Sri Lanka with loads of surf nearby and almost constant sunshine! We can provide accommodation for volunteers and I promise you, it will be the adventure of a lifetime!

These are some videos that we have made previously and we would like to maintain the same fab standard (or blow it out of the water!!)-

Thanks so much for your time guys and Im sorry to gatecrash!!
    Janey

Blog Entries

Janey, I'm going to go easy on you because you're new here and doing charity work, my own daughter worked for Battersea Dogs & Cats Home until health prevented her continuing and I honeymooned in Sri Lanka.

However:

1. You have posted here without paying any attention to the rules (see the sticky at the top of this section) which is rather rude.
    (a): This section is for critical comment about material you have made
    (b) One video per thread

2. You have posted your videos twice which is akin to spamming.I've deleted the duplicates.
    Tim

Tim,
    I most definitely did not intend to be rude but thank you for 'going easy on me' all the same. Take care and thanks for your hospitality.

Blog Entries

As you've posted in the section for analysis, I thought I'd offer a few thoughts.

The first video - it's an OK back story (about how you came to do this) but you need to open with the message on social media. Get the attention first and then you can go into how it all started etc.
    It's far too long. Concentrate on the story of one dog, maybe (after the initial sell)
    You speak clearly but the hesitations should have been edited out.
    You and your colleague look great (forget feminism, we know sex sells - and this is a sales pitch) but all the shots of both of you are mid shots throughout. The camera needs to move in to your faces after the establishing shots. Maybe mix in some profile shots.
    The audio was recorded in high quality, but this included high quality wind noise and bumps and knocks and scrapes. This is unacceptable as it it totally distracting..

The second video just shows some dogs in a bad way and being treated. i guess it will appeal to the sort of people who already give to the charity (or a dog charity). If it's a reward for them, great, if not, what is its purpose? It doesn't even carry the charity's name.
    Tim

Tim,

Thanks for your thoughts! We are most definitely not experts and these were our first videos. Hopefully we can improve with your comments. The videos were actually made for our charity ball at the Hilton in Newcastle so the longer one was made to be 'documentary style' for between courses. The other was just made to play as people entered the venue. They werent really intended for social media but were the best we had. Thats why we are looking for someone to come and help us make more relevant ones to boost our online presence.
    How are we to edit out the bumps and wind noise? We did try but couldn't find out how to do it!

Thanks,
    Janey

Blog Entries

If you're playing o a captive audience - particularly one that is already on-side or at least is expecting to learn more about the subject then these are fine. Social media is a different beast and apart from knowing you have about 3 seconds before the punters will click away I have absolutely no idea how to go about creating a video for it - only a bit about how not to
    It is fairly easy to get rid of constant noise like a mains hum or a hiss with software tools although even this can make the remaining voice sound a bit "Daleky". Some clever software, like Izotope RX can also help reduce the odd sharp noise (click, bump, even sirens in the distance). However noises like wind noise (where it varies over time and is in the same frequency as part of the sound you want to remain) is virtually impossible to remove.
    Really the only answer is to ensure it is recorded without the noise in the first place. Microphone as close to the sound source (your mouth) as you can get it. Sheild from any background noises as best you can and prevent any wind. This is why you see professionals recording outside with furry windsheilds (good in mild breeze and also known as "dead cats" - maybe your patients would approve ) or "zeppelins" which work in quite strong winds.
    You appear to have a lavalier mic (tie clip mic). You can get furry covers for those, or make one. Might be worth a shot. If you get your volunteer, I'm sure they will have the solution.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-16-2016 at 11:19 PM.
    Tim

The videos wouldn't play for me