Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Demented" - Short Thriller [04:51s]

Default "Demented" - Short Thriller [04:51s]

"Demented" is about a psychotic nurse that tortures a detective.

We filmed this in a Steel factory in Stockport a few weeks ago using all local cast and crew. This was shot on my Sony FS7 and graded using Film Convert. There were two gimble shots accomplished using the DJI Ronin and Canon C100

We also had a behind the scenes crew with us capturing all the action.

Let me know what you think.
    Cal Thomson | Camera Operator | www.calthomson.com

Wow !! best thing i've seen on here in as long as i can remember. acting, sound, camera work all top notch .

only thing i dont like and its a personal thing is the font used in the end credits.

superb callum !
    Last edited by enc; 04-15-2016 at 06:04 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Thanks a lot mate.

You're the first person to mention the font. You're probably right, it is quite a personal thing but I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for watching
    Cal Thomson | Camera Operator | www.calthomson.com

Agree with enc, really good job. Looks like you had a great team and ran a fine set. It would have been good to see a longer film with the story line developing through flash backs perhaps. Having said that it does hits the intended mark I think.

Well done to all the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Agree with enc, really good job. Looks like you had a great team and ran a fine set. It would have been good to see a longer film with the story line developing through flash backs perhaps. Having said that it does hits the intended mark I think.

Well done to all the team.
    Yeah I could see this being the basis of a longer film ... But it works fine for me as is too. .
    I just watched the making of...great use of the over head pallet on crane used in the opening shot... I'd wondered how that seen was shot.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by ctbullet View Post
    Thanks a lot mate.

You're the first person to mention the font. You're probably right, it is quite a personal thing but I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for watching
    The end credits use tow fonts It's just the top line font that doesn't work with the bottom one (for me) the animated credit sequence is as good if not better than any title sequence used on tv. Again, great work

Blog Entries

Techically superb. Loved the setting, camerawork and lighting. Most impressive.

The actors were believable and well into their roles, the make-up was superb.

What I didn't like was the script and the directing. She was much too hyper and playing the "evil" role too heavily for me. About half way in I was thinking "Oh, get on with it!" and was starting to lose interest and trying to work out what the "catch" would be.

It was a one-line "gag" stretched out into a short film, in my opinion.

So big thumbs up for cast, crew and techy stuff but for me a fail on the script.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 04-18-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Blog Entries

My thoughts are a bit (OK, a lot) similar to Rob's. The first half was intriguing and I found the girl super creepy and slightly sexy in a perverse way, making me feel suitably uncomfortable. The second half and the "reveal" didn't really do it for me. I had put that down to the fact I'd been interrupted half way through, but in the light of Rob's comments I watched again and I think he's spot on. After the excellent establishing shots and the initial dialogue there is a feeling of "OK we get the picture, what next?" and, given the time it then takes to get there, the denouement really has a lot to live up to. Unfortunately the fact that this turns out to be revenge for something where there's a large part of me of us that thinks it's justified left me feeling rather let down. There's no element of surprise, no "reward" in the payoff. Generally you either want a twist (ooh I never saw that coming) or you want the challeng the protagonist has been facing over come (the two lovers get together, the underdog wins the race) etc. However as a vehicle for practicing a variety of of technical and creative techniques it was fine.

Unlike Rob, I didn't find the girl too hyper. I would have liked to have seen something of the detective's eyes full of fear.

It looked great, was well acted and sounded great.
    I didn't particularly mind the font in the credits and I think the credit sequence was absolutely top notch.

Great job!
    Tim

Very nice video!

Things that I found are:
    - The first shot was great with movement, but after that camerawork became a bit to static for me. Personally I wouldn't use the tripod that much to get a little camerashake here and there, it would have added more tension? in the video.
    - I had the feeling that some shots had more of the orange tint/grading than other shots.
    - I did not really get the 'shocked' feeling of the plot of the video you were probably aiming for (the end shot, showing the newspaper), maybe because it was not something I wasn't expecting. Perhaps something like TimStannard said a plottwist nobody would see coming would be great?

Other than this really well done, just a few points that came up my mind

Wow so nice made me feel like a complete noob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast