Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drone Showcase Thingy

1. Default Drone Showcase Thingy

Hi Guys

Myself and a mate have recently got together to make a little showcase to try out his Phantom 2 and this is what I came up with. If you don't like your footage very Orange then you may not like this... It's on purpose... Kind of....

Anyway, feedback greatly appreciated and if anyone has any suggestions about how to find work with this kind of thing then let me know!

Thanks

Dan

The first step to getting paid work with a drone is to get a licence to fly it commercially.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The first step to getting paid work with a drone is to get a licence to fly it commercially.
    yeah, Steve has his liscence and we rung the airport, the port and asked everyone in the video for permission. Lots of droneophobia about today, so you can't be too careful. We originally wanted to film a castle at a national trust site and they have a blanket ban on any drone stuff. They have a guy that does their footage...

It's great that your licenced. The next stage I would say is to promote what you do to people you think would want it. It's a good idea to ask the National Trust places like that would benefit from drone material in their promos. You could contact local video companies to see if they need drone footage and let them know you are cheep and experienced etc.

You're going to have to get yourself a good showreel, which means you need to get some good examples of different types of work so you don't look like a one trick pony. Check out other peoples drone showreels to get some ideas.

Good luck.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It's great that your licenced. The next stage I would say is to promote what you do to people you think would want it. It's a good idea to ask the National Trust places like that would benefit from drone material in their promos. You could contact local video companies to see if they need drone footage and let them know you are cheep and experienced etc.

You're going to have to get yourself a good showreel, which means you need to get some good examples of different types of work so you don't look like a one trick pony. Check out other peoples drone showreels to get some ideas.

Good luck.
    Yeah, I guess getting a lot of variation is good... Might do a night shoot next, so I don't have to get up at 4am....

very very good job

Hi Dan,

Your video is beautiful! How do you fancy a trip to Sri Lanka with your friend and drone to film our charity work with the doggies? We need lots of new footage and will provide accommodation for upto 6 months... Please check out our previous videos- we would love you to put together some similar (even better) stuff for us

[Links deleted - Mod]
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-16-2016 at 09:02 PM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by janey-lowes View Post
    Hi Dan,

Your video is beautiful! How do you fancy a trip to Sri Lanka with your friend and drone to film our charity work with the doggies? We need lots of new footage and will provide accommodation for upto 6 months... Please check out our previous videos- we would love you to put together some similar (even better) stuff for us

[Links deleted - Mod]
    Yeah, sounds amazing, but not sure I could do 6 months... Email me details: danreddingvideo@outlook.com

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Brothers View Post
    very very good job
    Thanks for watching!

Blog Entries

Hi Dan

I'd love to have the skill to fly a quadcopter. I quickly discovered I had zero talent for flying after trying out a small one in my back garden. I spent most of my time politely asking my neighbour for my toy back. So I hold anyone that can make it look easy with great respect.

I thought the video was polished, but i lacking a wow factor. It's a step above the usual collection of goods shots, but observing a few cinematography "rules" and building a stronger narrative will set you one step up the ladder. A few examples:
    • At 0:08 you tease us with a potential reveal of the Phantom, but you'd only know what it was if you knew what a Phantom looked like. You also stopped the reveal before it was in frame and whilst you were panning. Did you add the crop after you edited?
    • At 0:19 you cropped the operators legs, which looked odd. Again, did you frame before the crop? I would have moved the image up so that you got the feet in the shot.
    • at 0.30 you use the music to your advantage and cut to a beautiful shot. I expected this to cut at 0.39 with the music. It didn't but I thought that worked well. Then I thought you'd cut at around 0.49 but you didn't. Finally you cut two two really short clips at and odd stage that broke me from my revery completely. the two clips were really different and looked out of place together. They didn't feel like you were building to anything. As an audience, we like to be taken on a journey and slowly build up a picture of what's going on.
    • At abut 1:17 it felt like we were going back to where we started without going on a journey. One of the regulars here have me a great, but simple and obvious tip when I started - always have a beginning, middle and end. It was a great start, but I thought you'd build up to those glorious tracking shots a bit more. It felt like you had a bunch of clips you wanted to show, i.e. the shots were more important than the story.
    • At 1:18 I loved the sequence of clips with people. The tracking shot was fab and I wanted to see that go on for much, much longer.
    • 1:30 felt like the end... it said, "there's more to come, this is just the start of the journey"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast