Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering what I need to do in order to make decent videos that render faster...

1. Default Just wondering what I need to do in order to make decent videos that render faster...

Hey how's it goin!

I have a few questions that I was hoping maybe someone here might be able to answer. Basically, I'm making guitar lesson videos pretty much like this one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTes5wntLIk

The video editing software that I use is "Movie Studio Platinum 12", which has all of the features that I need to make a video like the one shown....with the little pictures popping up in the video every now and again.

However, my problem is that the rendering process for a 15-20 minute video generally takes up to 3 hrs!! I know that I can do something to make this rendering time go much faster. I'm hoping to get it down to about 20 minutes or less if possible (I'm pretty sure this isn't unreasonable)....

These videos will be used for YouTube and Vimeo.

Currently I'm working with a PC using Windows 7.

Memory: 4GB (3.61 GB Usable)
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6320

And as for the settings in Movie Maker, I always just went with the boxes that were already checked:

Stereo Audio
    HDV
    1280x720-30P

Then I render as:

Sony AVC/MVC

Internet 1280x720-30P

I'm not really sure exactly what all that means. All I know is that:

1.) I don't know if I need a faster computer or not
    2.) I don't know if I'm selecting the correct settings in Movie Studio

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get my rendering times for 20-minute videos like the one shown above, down to about 20 minutes or less?

Thanks!

A large wallet

You have 4GB of RAM, how on earth does the PC even run....................... I have 32GB, and that is ok'ish

You need as much RAM as you can install depending on your motherboard, download "speccy" and show us what you have.

http://www.downloadlad.com/cp/uk/speccy.php

Here is what i have, not cheap

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 37 C (I will have my sons Mboard soon and a faster CPU) Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM

32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (REMEMBER ALL RAM IS SHOWN AT HALF SPEED IN SPEC SOFTWARE)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VII RANGER (SOCKET 1150) WATER COOLING

Graphics

Eizo S2231W (1680x1050@60Hz) monitor

3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7900 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) graphics card

Storage

894GB SanDisk SDSSDXPS960G (SSD) 27 C (SSD drive)

2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 (SATA)
    2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (SATA)
    2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (SATA)

8TB Western Digital WD My Book Duo 0A10 USB Device (SSD)

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 blue ray

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio
    Last edited by JR1; 04-06-2016 at 07:23 PM.

3. Default

Ya I figured that I'd need to upgrade...

My computer is about 4 years old, and I initially never had the intention to do video editing.

Well, now I'm considering buying a new all-in-one Mac desktop computer that comes with 8GB RAM, and thinking about seeing if I can get it upgraded to 16 right there at the store.

I really don't know much about computers, but my absolute max budget is $2K...ideally, I'd like to spend closer to $1K if possible.

Would getting this new Mac give any noticeable results or am I just wasting my money?

You say you have

AMD Radeon HD 6320

This surely is laptop built in or even god forbid (on board) graphics. If so you really need a proper graphic card at the very least though that is not what rendering/processing is about.

Basic spec would be

fast i5 or i7 processor 150+
    16/32GB RAM 150+
    Separate 2-3GB graphic card 150+
    GOOD storage space, at least two hard drives, 2x 2TB or better one for programs (C) drive, one for working (E).............. (D) is usualy the DVD/BlueRay 300+

Personally I HATE anything all in one.

If any part goes down you can be without the whole system whilst it is repaired.

I have been building computers since CP/M (google that )..................... (remember the film TRON............ Master Control Program, well it was CP/M re arranged........... and TRON is a "BASIC" instruction "Trace/ON"

I like to build my own and use SCAN computers , they will build one to your spec and deliver if you prefer, also OVERCLOCKERS
    Last edited by JR1; 04-06-2016 at 07:34 PM.

6. Default

Hey thanks for that!

I really don't know anything about video cards and all that stuff...

It seems to me like you are a PC guy, but I've really been leaning towards a Mac lately...

Im not using any crazy effects or anything, other then just basic fade in and outs, and some little pictures and text popping up on the screen (like the one in the OP).

I was considering this computer: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-21...&skuId=3093014

Howerever, I'm not sure if it comes "stock" with fast enough stuff...

I guess I should just go the PC route and get a custom built one huh?

Im just not sure what is and isn't necessary for what I'm trying to do.

ON board graphics, good luck and don't expect to be able to upgrade in the future the way you can a PC, once it is there, like a laptop that is it.

You may not want to do anything great now, but you will............ you will.......

Also remember "on board/built in graphics uses the computers RAM, so you may "think" you have 16 MB, you could end up with as little as 12MB, you don't, with a separate graphica card it has it's OWN RAM.

Also it has a 1TB hard drive.........wow.... big deal, I have 12TB in the PC alone, can you add another internal one, bet not, also how fast is the hard drive, 5400/7200/10000..... faster the better, go SSD now
    Last edited by JR1; 04-06-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Just seen, it's a 1.6Ghz i5, ................... S L O W

Hard drive 5400 again S L O W

It is 2014 technolgy
    Last edited by JR1; 04-06-2016 at 07:57 PM.

9. Default

Thanks for the heads up! PC it is (and not all in one either)...

So basically if I go to a custom computer making company, and give them all these specs, then I should be good?

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    fast i5 or i7 processor 150+
    16/32GB RAM 150+
    Separate 2-3GB graphic card 150+
    GOOD storage space, at least two hard drives, 2x 2TB or better one for programs (C) drive, one for working (E).............. (D) is usualy the DVD/BlueRay 300+
    Also, is one of the 2TB hard drives used for backup, or should I also backup my videos on an external hard drive as well?

This multiple hard drive thing is new to me as well!

So I guess I would just save any downloads, programs and videos onto the C-drive, but how do I "tell the computer" to use the other hard drive as the "working drive"?
    Last edited by bkelly301; 04-06-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Look, I can only say what I believe, 30 other members will all say something else.

I use an 8TB external RAID array for my backsups, BUT I also use a dock similar to this for weekly backups, needs another hard drive, a cheap 1tb one will do.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...paign=products

THREE hard drives,

A large SSD
    A good 2TB/3TB main drive
    another internal hard drive to keep your videos on and save them to, so as not to clog your main C drive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast