Thread: Advice on a laptop.

Default Advice on a laptop.

Hello,

I am very new to the editing world, especially since I haven't tried very hard due to having a very messed up, slow laptop.

I am 21 years old, and me and my best friend are simply creating a lower-quality skit film that simply contains a bunch of funny videos that we have put together.
    This includes a short zombie killing skit, short clips of funny conversations and jokes, our reactions whilst gaming and general stuff outside.

I have a lot of footage on my Macbook Pro, but I am looking to get a Windows laptop.
    The quality is not going to be too high, but it must be reasonable.
    (None of this Youtube clips filmed on a potato palaver)

I am looking at an MSI laptop since I would also like to use it for gaming (Skyrim and the Sims predominantly).

Therefore, can anybody give me advice on the specs required for basic skit/montage editing laptop that can withstand some gaming please?
    Or, examples of exact laptops that would be suitable.

I would also like to add that I'm aiming for under 1000, but I am open to ideas that are a little higher in price.

Thank you so much.
    Sorry if there is any unnecessary info there.

Blog Entries

The spec of the laptop will make no difference to the quality of the video. What it can make a huge difference to is the editing experience (it is very difficult to time cuts to music, for example, if playback within the editor is laggy).
    Anything capable of gaming should be capable of basic editing.
    You haven't said what software you will be using or what type of footage you will be using (eg the codec),
    But for starters I'd go with at least in Intel i5 quad core processor, 8GB (preferably 16GB) RAM, an OpenCL capable graphics card (more specific means looking up recommendations for whatever software you use), either a huge SSD for OS/Software/video or a smaller one and a huge external mechanical HD (make sure you have a USB 3 connection). Whether you need a DVD or BluRay burner depends (on whether you are going to burn either))
    Tim

I have a Toshiba satellite, more importantly upgrared to a FAST SSD

SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960 GB Sata III

I have the faster one still in the PC.

SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD 960

And as said as much RAM as is reasonable, my son has 128GB why I have no idea he is heavily into gaming, I have 16GB in the laptop and 32 in the PC

IF you can get a laptop with NON on board graphics but a dedicated graphics card then thet will be better.

Check out.................

"DELL outlet" on Ebay AND DELL outlet at Dell, where machines are bought by people, checked out and returned un wanted within 7-14 days, DELL then can not sell as new so there are many a bargain to be had

REMEMBER that is the DELL "OUTLET" NOT dells new computers

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en &s=dfh&dgc=IR&cid=296386&lid=5667687

Avoid Alionware, my son says they are rubbish, and believe me when it comes to spec and gaming he knows.
    Last edited by JR1; 04-02-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Scan computers build dedicated editing machines including laptops ...worth a look there ?

JR1 Mentiones DELL computers ... All the Machines at work are Dell and they are ultra reliable but (not sure if this is still the case) they pretty much dell machines through and through and not always easy to find compatible components. No denying theire build quality though.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I always used to buy dell, buty have been building my own and my sons since the first 486's.

I agree Scan and Overclockers are where we get most of the components for our computers.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=enc;217301All the Machines at work are Dell and they are ultra reliable ... No denying theire build quality though.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed so long as you go for the machines they aim at businesses. Every now and then they bring out some budget ranges which are a bit more plasticky.
    Tim