Thread: Double Dog Dare

1. Default Double Dog Dare

Hey everyone, it's been a while since my last post. I upgraded from the Blackmagic Pocket to a RED ONE Mysterium so I've been trying to learn it's quirks which has proven more difficult than I expected. Anyway, I had a request for a tutorial on rocket launcher smoke trails in After Effects so I decided to kill two birds and shoot a test with the camera as well as an example for the tutorial. It's just a fun video with my kids. Hope you guys enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/8o-_mgub8-I

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Audio volume was a bit low and I didn't like the shaky pan at 0:40. Apart from that nice work.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Audio volume was a bit low and I didn't like the shaky pan at 0:40. Apart from that nice work.
    Thanks, XXLRay. Did you watch it on a mobile device or a desktop? I've been having an issue with low master volume on my last two videos, especially on cell phones and tablets. The audio sounds great in headphones or on TV but is way too low everywhere else. Has anyone else run into this when mixing?

I watched on a mobile device, audio is very low.
    The kids "acting" was quite believable, fx pretty good. Some might find the Subject matter a bit sensitive in the present climate.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bigmanjoe View Post
    I was watching on a pc. I could hear it fine but I did have to turn the volume up. So the master could defiantly be louder. Other than that I thought it was really good. Even the acting was not bad.
    If you had to raise the volume on a pc, I'm gonna chalk it up to user error on my part then and mix a little higher next time. Thanks bigmanjoe!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    I watched on a mobile device, audio is very low.
    The kids "acting" was quite believable, fx pretty good. Some might find the Subject matter a bit sensitive in the present climate.
    Hopefully not but that is a good point though. I have only had one person complain thus far and that was someone who drove by while we were filming and wanted to know why my son had an m72 lol.

I watched it on a PC with headphones and compared the volume to other YouTube videos.

just revisited this on PC... definitely an issue with audio. did you capture some ambient background audio when shooting ?

if so, maybe worth cranking up the dialect volume gating it and running the ambient audio in the back ground.

the sound FX and music are fine .... its just the dialect.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    just revisited this on PC... definitely an issue with audio. did you capture some ambient background audio when shooting ?

if so, maybe worth cranking up the dialect volume gating it and running the ambient audio in the back ground.

the sound FX and music are fine .... its just the dialect.
    Sorry enc and XXLRay, I was at work and couldn't respond until now. I did capture ambient audio but I realized what the issue was now that I'm finally able to look at the project file. I had an issue with the original sequence in Premiere refusing to export so I ended up copying the edit it over to a fresh sequence. Like I knucklehead I never raised the dialogue track back to where it was supposed to be. So the mystery audio problem was user error. Thanks everyone for going the trouble to check the levels on PC vs mobile devices though.