Thread: My train ride

Blog Entries

Default My train ride

Haven't posted anything here for an age (mainly because I haven't done anything video related for an age!). My 2 year old boy is obsessed with trains and can happily sit and on a train and watch the world go by. I thought he'd love his own train video, so took a camera on a miniature railway. What I'd forgotten was how unpredictable kids can be! Add this to the fact I used a camera I hardly use (it's small, but a complete bugger to use, hence the lack of use) and you get a wobbly out of focus mess. My little boy loved it though, so that's one box ticked!

you picked the right music track to go with the wobbly footage. I think its cute

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    you picked the right music track to go with the wobbly footage. I think its cute
    The right music can fix anything

Music was a bit too epic for my taste

I actually thought the music was very fitting ... Gave it a feel of those grande old days of steam (or something )
    Also the shaky footage was OK by me .. Gave a sense of how shaky the train was and how poor the weather was. Would have been good with a bit of ambient noise to reinforce the point ! Even if the audio from the day was unusable which in guessing it would have been... a bit of foley would have added something
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Even if the audio from the day was unusable which in guessing it would have been... a bit of foley would have added something
    great point! Embarrassed to say I didn't even consider that.

Blog Entries

Why can I only see it in a tiny Window? There's no option to expand it or link to Vimeo. (Firefox 45.0.1 on Windows 10 Pro)
    At this size I feel left out as I cannot see the wobbly bits!
    Tim

edit link not working
    Last edited by enc; 03-29-2016 at 08:55 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

... but it's OK cos I just linked to it from Facebook where I can see it full screen so I got it in all its glorious wobbliness.
    It's fine. It's a family record. Amateur films and steam railways do rather go together like. erm amateur films and canals, but this was a family day out rather than (yet) another documentary about what year such and such a line was purchased by this society and how it was extended by two miles in 1993.
    Music? Epic maybe, but the pulsating rhythm was well suited to the shots of and from the train. It just about wokred with the shots of teh sea but It didn't work for me when it was just accompanying the family walking.
    I'd have left out the shot of the snotty nose. Don't mind seeing those of mu kids (when they were that age!) but I don't want to see anyone elses!
    Tim