Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which camcorder? Live gigs!

Default Which camcorder? Live gigs!

Hi,
    I want a budget compact camcorder to film my band playing live gigs.
    So I guess the biggest issue is coping with indoor/dark lighting (although the band are lit by lights obv) also "steady cam" stabilization would be a high priority for me.
    A external mic jack for my Zoom H1 would be good but not necessary as I can sync up with the film, later
    Auto focus too would be a prio

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I am a camcorder noob

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Grafenberg View Post
    Hi,
    I want a budget compact camcorder to film my band playing live gigs.
    So I guess the biggest issue is coping with indoor/dark lighting (although the band are lit by lights obv) also "steady cam" stabilization would be a high priority for me.
    A external mic jack for my Zoom H1 would be good but not necessary as I can sync up with the film, later
    Auto focus too would be a prio

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I am a camcorder noob
    Have you looked at the Vixia HF G40? If it fits your budget I think it is a good one based on what you are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Have you looked at the Vixia HF G40? If it fits your budget I think it is a good one based on what you are asking.

So you consider a 1000 a budget camcorder ?????

I know it may sound dumb but try a GoPro.

I use many different combos for recording from a go pro (I have 6 the hero, the 3 and 3+), I also use a Panasonic HC-X920 and D810/D4s.

When I set up the gopros, I use four/five on simple clamps pointing at the group and the audience, remember gigs are better lit than you think, not idea but colour etc can be adjusted later, not ideal but a place to start and learn, don't spend a fortune at the offset

You do NOT need thousand pound cameras, in fact one of the easiest quick ones I use is a cheap Canon I picked up for 60

Look at PRE OWNED, why oh why oh why do people not look at pre owned more

Whilst I am new to outdoor videography I have been recording gigs for years indoors.

Just concentrate on white balance.................... we all have to start somewhere

Just an example

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Panas...50_143250.html

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotogra...homepage_panel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JR1; 03-28-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Look at PRE OWNED
    Good advice, although there is always the risk that t doesn't work as it shoyd - yes, you're protected to some extent, but do you want the hassle. My last two camcorders were second hand (pre-owned is just marketing speak IMO)
    , why oh why oh why do people not look at pre owned more
    Presumably because of the "risk", the lack of guarantee, the lack of manufacturer's support. But plent of people do buy second hand. Just follow any camera on eBay.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Good advice, although there is always the risk that t doesn't work as it shoyd - yes, you're protected to some extent, but do you want the hassle. My last two camcorders were second hand (pre-owned is just marketing speak IMO)

Presumably because of the "risk", the lack of guarantee, the lack of manufacturer's support. But plent of people do buy second hand. Just follow any camera on eBay.
    Ahhhhhhhhhh and I have never known a new camera pack up .................................................. .................................................. ..........no, or memory card, or flash or car or.....................

And, anyway, as we all know 1. You never ever use just one camera for anything and 2 if it is "paid" work you ALWAYS have publick indemnity insurance and finally I hope no one ever USES any GEAR ANYWHERE WITHOUT "PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE"

SORRY.............finally............. if transportinfg gear to and from a place to be used for work I assume you have told your insurance company you are using your car "for work", god help anyone who does not and has an accident either your fault or not........ it is a legal requirement.
    Last edited by JR1; 03-28-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries

SORRY.............finally............. if transportinfg gear to and from a place to be used for work I assume you have told your insurance company you are using your car "for work", god help anyone who does not and has an accident either your fault or not........ it is a legal requirement.
    Most of us here are amateurs.

To the OP, what are you using at the moment? Is there anything you particularly like / dislike? What's the end result for you - will you edit the video for publicity or do you just want stick the camera on a tripod and film from one position?

Sorry, yes I appreciate that, what concerns me is that i have seen accidents happen, where a triopd is set up and later people HAVE fallen over it, after drinks, am or pro you are open to being sued. Get insurance just in case

Blog Entries

Ahhhhhhhhhh and I have never known a new camera pack up .................................................. .................................................. ..........no, or memory card, or flash or car or.....................
    It is not the risk of failure. It is the effectiveness/reliability of procedures to replace when things do fail.

You wondered why more people do not consider second-had. I gave an answer. No need to go on the offensive.
    Tim

So you consider a 1000 a budget camcorder ?????
    I guess it could be to some people. Thing is, OP hasn't mentioned a "budget" of course, we could assume ...the fact he mentined a zoom H1 in his arsanal he maybe looking at substantially less than 1k. But let's not assume
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast