Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XLR or 3.5mm jack

Default XLR or 3.5mm jack

Can't find a better place to post...............

Really dumb question what is the real benefit if any of an XLR microphone connection over 3.5mm jack

I have googled them and as far as I can see the explanations run from "none really! " to "
    The two signal wires both carry a copy of the signal, but the two copies are sent 180 degrees out of phase with the other. If you sum two perfectly out-of-phase signals that are otherwise identical, the signals cancel out, leaving you with silence."

There is also comments on them being used for lighting etc.

So for on/off camera microphone use in the outside world ?????????

Thank you
    Last edited by JR1; 03-22-2016 at 08:42 PM.

2. Default

XLR carries a balanced low impedance signal for high quality over long distances with good interference rejection. It's a sturdy locking connector with fairly large contact areas and pins that don't short when you connect it.

Blog Entries

Just to add to bouldersoundguy's comment, you will not get the benefit of using XLRs if you simply use an XLR to 3,5mm jack (or anything else) at either end. If you want to add XLR input to a DSLR (or any other camera with only a 3.5mm jack socket,you will need to buy a preamp (Beachtek used to be the "go to" for such things. I have a juiced link. This will set you back a fair amount. However it will be vastly superior to the pre-amp built into most DSLRs.
    Tim

4. Default

Right, you have to terminate it correctly. I suppose you could use a transformer at the camera end, but that still leaves you with the DSLR mic electronics. A good outboard preamp is one way to go, another is an entirely separate audio recording device.

I've been eyeballing the zoom h4n

6. Default

Here's my preferred external recording device. Portability is not its strong suit.

Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet! And the straw hats absorb any errant sounds

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Just to add to bouldersoundguy's comment, you will not get the benefit of using XLRs if you simply use an XLR to 3,5mm jack (or anything else) at either end. If you want to add XLR input to a DSLR (or any other camera with only a 3.5mm jack socket,you will need to buy a preamp (Beachtek used to be the "go to" for such things. I have a juiced link. This will set you back a fair amount. However it will be vastly superior to the pre-amp built into most DSLRs.
    I do use XLR, I have the Sennheiser ME66 to a Tascam 60D to a Nikon D810, I just couldn't see what the difference was supposed to be

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bigmanjoe View Post
    Haha all that expensive stuff plugged into a laptop.
    That would be funny, except that the laptop is just controlling a DSLR mounted on the other side of the wall above the window. There's a tower behind the console recording multitrack audio into Vegas 13.

Attached Images Attached Images

How does showing all this relate to MY question !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast