Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback please

Default Feedback please

Hi all

New to this forum and only slightly less new to video shooting and editing. This is my first attempt at editing a video using Adobe Premiere Elements. I'd appreciate any feedback:

https://youtu.be/LmtCNWS2Xkc

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome,

I presume you were on your own which makes it rather difficult to shoot you on your jourmey. Yet that's really what this film needs as we didn't really get a feel that it was the walk that you described in your notes.
    Landscapes are interesting only for a limited time - especially if we do not know what we are looking at (captions/ voiceover?) Generally shots with movement in them are better for film - especially if they have people as this adds a context and a sense of scale to the shots. Or you can try to introduce camera movement, but pans and tilts wear thin very quickly. Try to use only a bare minimum. (Again without equipment like sliders/dollies it is difficult to get good camera movement). Also, when you pan, try to ensure you come to rest on a properly framed shot of a target subject (I can see you've done this in some)
    Remove all zooms. Or rather use zooms only when there is a very good reason (and example I often use is a mountaineer high up a mountain - start with a close up then zoom out to show the enormity of the challenge) Generally cuts work better.
    Get rid of the auto exposure - we had a few shots where you panned/tilted from dark to light or vice versa and the sky changed colour as the auto exposure cut in.

This isn't meant to be critical,The film is far from unwatchable - the shots are generally steady and reasonably well exposed. The things above are all things I forget to do all the time, but by reducing or eliminating these features, I think you'll find your films will improve.
    Tim

You have some copyright issues with the music.
    Camera is vibrating from time to time. Try stabilization in post if you can't have a sturdy tripod/monopod.
    I agree with Tim that you have too much panning and zooming. I once watched a tutorial about how every pan should have a purpose but can't recall the title. I just remember that they referenced some old black and white Japanese movie director.
    We could use a bit more of you in the video. Place the camera somewhere and walk by.
    Try to capture more animals to have some movement in the scene. I wonder if this was some kind of "lost place" as there was so little life going on.
    The scene at 1:41 didn't really show anything.
    You use a really high depth of field so that the foreground sometimes distracted from the scenery e.g. at 1:55.
    One name at 2:40 would have been sufficient.
    Add some more variety in shots like packing your gears.
    I liked the closing shot but missed a bit of a story arc.

Have you PAID to use the music or stolen it............

Sorry, as a photographer who earns "my" living from photography as musicians do from what they do I am always concerned about this

Looks jerky
    Last edited by JR1; 03-16-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks all for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Point taken on panning and zoom. Likewise with camera shake though here my options are limited since I can't carry plenty of gear with me on walks (I have a DSLR but I take a compact instead to save weight).

I was struck by the point that I should appear more in the video. To me, clips of somebody walking past the camera are uninteresting and a distraction from the scenery, which is what outdoor walks are really all about. I thought that the clips showing the lanes I was walking on would be enough to establish the walking narrative. Clearly not. And only today I was watching a video about the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Beautiful scenery, well shot video, UHD, but at some point it all started to feel too static, so I take the point about the need for movement and variety.

Interesting point about the scene at 1:41. This pans up from a tree to the turret of the castle behind it and was intended as a sort of transition to the full castle shot that appears next. I hoped the view of the turret would inject a note of curiosity in viewer's minds which would be answered by the full castle shot. So I suppose this didn't work.

1:55: it's hard to get shallow depth of field with a compact camera even at maximum aperture (has to do with the sensor size and lens focal length). Still, I could perhaps have found another vantage point with less foreground clutter. Another point to keep in mind for the future.

Music: this video appears only on Youtube and won't be used anywhere else so I'm relying on the Youtube licensing set-up.

Thanks again.

BUT it has already been somewhere else, here................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    BUT it has already been somewhere else, here................
    No it hasn't. A link to the YouTube content has been placed here. Therefore any views HAVE to be via YouTube. I agree entirely with your post about copyright, but the OP is working within the rules.
    Tim

Hang on

the only place I have ever placed any of my videos is YouTube - I don't show them anywhere - it's really just a Dropbox more than anything else - do you mean I can overlay real songs on them?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Hang on

the only place I have ever placed any of my videos is YouTube - I don't show them anywhere - it's really just a Dropbox more than anything else - do you mean I can overlay real songs on them?
    I believe so, but that may allow ads to be placed on your video and the revenue directed to the third party content's owner. I posted a video of a musician's live studio performance. The ownership is complicated as the artist owns the song, studio owns the recording and I own the video. The performance was similar enough to his studio recording that the YT algorithm recognized the song. I acknowledged the third party content and, since I wasn't out to profit from it monetarily, I didn't bother getting into the ownership complications. Another video from that same show/session didn't get flagged. It all seemed fair enough so I just let it be. If the other song gets flagged I'll happily acknowledge it.

[Edit] Oh, and I only monetize videos that are 100% my work.
    Last edited by bouldersoundguy; 03-17-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I believe so, but that may allow ads to be placed on your video and the revenue directed to the third party content's owner.
    And, in addition, the owner of the music can put restrictions on the availability of the video or block it altogether. In my case the video is not viewable in Germany, but I can live with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast