Thread: Jerky 4K

Default Jerky 4K

I have been a stills photographer for many years, with some experience in video editing. However, recently I bought a Canon XC10 for recording video in 4K. The problem I am having is this; whilst the 4k recording (onto Lexar Cfast 2.0) looks good on the camera’s display and indeed looks perfect when displayed on a 4k TV using an HDMI transfer cable but when I transfer the clips from the cfast card to my PC using the Canon Utility application, the video is very “jerky”. After importing the MXF files using the Canon Utility, I then convert to mpeg4 using the Pavtube MXF converter application.
    The problem is most apparent when panning (however slow) and when there is a moving object in view, such as a vehicle. This problem does not happen with HD clips, which play smoothly.
    I have scoured the internet, without success to find a solution to this problem, so I’m really hoping a forum member can point me in the right direction.

Well, either the quality of the video itself is being reduced during the conversions you described or your display can't keep up with the converted file format - does the bitrate of the converted file match the original?

Do you by any chance convert to an interlaced format?

Thank you for your very quick response. The issue is now resolved, I have reduced the camera bitrate from 305 to 205, even though the cfast card accepts up to 510 Mb/s. When I run a clip in the Canon XF-AVC utility, the clips are very jerky. This effect is still present after processing by the Pavtube MXF convertor. However, I now find that importing the shaky video into Cyberlink Powerdirector and playing the clips, the video is smooth and even better after rendering. I am puzzled as to why this occurs but I am happy that the final production is silky smooth. I will keep the camera bitrate at 205.
    Thank you very much for your advice and to the other members who responded.

No I do not convert to interlaced but am copying a reply sent to another forum member as follows:
    Thank you for your very quick response. The issue is now resolved, I have reduced the camera bitrate from 305 to 205, even though the cfast card accepts up to 510 Mb/s. When I run a clip in the Canon XF-AVC utility, the clips are very jerky. This effect is still present after processing by the Pavtube MXF convertor. However, I now find that importing the shaky video into Cyberlink Powerdirector and playing the clips, the video is smooth and even better after rendering. I am puzzled as to why this occurs but I am happy that the final production is silky smooth. I will keep the camera bitrate at 205.
    Thank you very much for your advice and to the other members who responded.