Thread: First Videos - Looking for editing advice

Default First Videos - Looking for editing advice

Evening all

These are the first 2 videos i have shot and edited, i am actually very happy with them both for my first attempt but it was all learning on the job and i would appreciate any criticism at all, and especially advice techniques which those of you who are used to doing this would like to share.

I am not precious in the slightest so please don't worry about upsetting me, i a completely new to this so be harsh and please help me learn my trade.

Thanks
    Owen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5ix34s229...0Deux.mp4?dl=0

[Removed]
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-11-2016 at 08:26 AM.

PS - Sound isn't complete on either video, still being produced

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OwenTetley View Post
    i would appreciate any criticism at all, and especially advice techniques which those of you who are used to doing this would like to share.

I am not precious in the slightest so please don't worry about upsetting me, i a completely new to this so be harsh and please help me learn my trade
    Hi Owen and welcome.

Great attitude - exactly what we try to encourage here. (Another thing we try to encourage is that you also take some time occasionally to give back to the forum by commenting on other people's films)

We have a rule in this section (there are only three -see the "sticky" at the top) One Video per Thread. This is just to help keep things clear - so when someone makes a comment we now exactly which video we are talking about. Please would you re-post your second video under another thread so we can commen on it. (I had a quick look and they are similar so I considered leacing oth here, but it still doesn't work - if someone comments on the camera movement at 2:44, you don't know which film they are talking about).

OK, so that's housekeeping our of the way!

You say you're new to this, but you have clearly watched videos and learnt from them.

Your shots all match very well in terms of colour/look (and feel).
    You also have a good mix of mid and close-up shots, faces and "other".
    I thought there was a presence, and "immediacy" about the video, as if we were there.
    Be careful of shots drifting:
    For example the shot at 1:27 takes what feels like and an eternity to move from Rory's face down to his guitar, then wanders off towards the headstock (but misses it) then starts to drift back again. Being very picky, his face also drifts in and out of focus at the beginning of the shot (looks like focus is on the mic rather than face). However, in the main, camera movement was good and smooth.
    I liked the way you dressed the set. The led lights all over the bar is a trick I've seen several times and works very well in warm shots like this.
    I liked the intro, but it is far too long if this is intended for social media. You need to grab the audience's attention and give them an idea of what the film is about within 3 or 4 seconds. I also wonder whether having the band set up and then the camera follow Rory up the stairs onto a bandstand that is already set up rather gives the impression he is "the big star" and the other band members are just the hired help. Fine if that's what he wants

But overall an excellent job.
    Tim

Hi Tim

Sorry i should have read the rules first! Will have a look in a sec. I will leave the 2nd video out for now they are very similar and with the 2nd one we had a lot less footage so a lot of cuts and edits are enforced rather than chosen. Less value in the feedback if i can't act on it.

Thanks very much for the advice and comments, all very useful. And yes, its all about Rory! They really are the hired help....

Blog Entries

Nah, you've got to post the other. It's a new rule I invented. I nearly split the thread and posted it myself, but decided against as it would have been under my name, not yours. I know you asked for editing advice, but advice on the shots might come in handy.
    The other vid sounded a lot more live. I'd assumed this one was lip synced to a studio recording but the other was live. Maybe I was wrong.
    Tim

Shots were nice
    Audio was clean
    I didn't realize you could share videos using Dropbox