Thread: Some simple quetions about how you do

Default Some simple quetions about how you do

Hi to all.

First of all, I would like to say sorry for my grammatical errors, but I am far an english speaking person. Please don't judge me for that.

I am a novice person in video shooting and editing, but I would like to be better in the matterial I give to my clients. Most of all I shoot weddings, birthdays and other ceremonies.

I have just some questions, if you can be nice and answer to them from your expirience.

How do you shoot an event with only one camera, and only one cameraman? I mean, for example the first dance at an wedding? I have a monopod and I usualy shoot from one point of view, and sometiems I zoom in to have close ups. In editing I try to cut the zooming and my mooves, but I had replyies from my clients, that the song is not complete. If I do not cut the song, than the steps and mooves of the dancers want be on music. So it's kind of hard.
    Other sceens are filming the people who are speaking. For example, someone is speeking, and after he endeed his speeach someone else is starting to speeak, but this person is allready in the other end of the room, or with his back to mee. I have to moove, and I have to deleate my mooving, but lots of times, the person is speaking something that I shoul save on my video. This kind of sceens are very hard to edit, and I do not know how to do that.

Also, it is recomended not to use zoom ins and zoom outs. Filming in one camera, I found it hard to mentain this. I want to give some good image, so after filming a general shot, I try to use close ups, and here is the moment where I have to zoom in. What do you do in this case? Are you slowly zooming in, or you wait for a moment that will be possible to cut of, and zoom in very fast?

How do you cheange the camera angle to other sceens? Are you doing it with fast mooves, or slowly?

I shoot on a Canon 6d, and have some lenses like 24-105, 50mm 1.4, 100 macro 2.8 IS, and 35mm 2.0 IS. I have a Manfrotto monopod with a 500MVA videohad. Now I am thinking, that to exclude these problems, I probably should buy a image stabilizer like the DJI Ronin. But I do not know if it is possible to shoot almost all the wedding on such thing, especialy, that in my country, one wedding has about 4-6 hours of video shooting.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Blog Entries

Hi and Welcome.

A few things to think about.
    1. Get cutaways to cover re framing/fast zooms/ camera movement.
    2.. Manage your client's expectations. Ensure that they understand that if you have only one camera to work with they cannot expect you to have two different shots of the same event in time. Or offer them a second or third camera for an additional cost.
    3. Get cutaways to cover re framing/fast zooms/ camera movement.
    4. Get the client to work with you regarding such things as speeches. Explain that if they want the beginning of the next speech, then they must wait for you to be set up and ready. Or they cam pay for another camera. They may think that this will cause a break in proceedings, but actually people are only to happy to have a break to say chat about the speech just heard,. or to cough, or stretch and scratch. Take the opportunity when setting up to make sure you mic is placed nice and near the speaker.
    5. Get cutaways to cover re framing/fast zooms/ camera movement.
    6. If they really want the whole of the first dance and only one cameraman then they'll pretty much have to put up with one continuous shot. You might be able to "fake" some cutaways (which you can use to cover your camera movement/zooms) by getting shots of the people watching before the dance actually starts. Usually there is a minute or so whilst people gather ready to watch the first dance. Again liaise with the client - tell them not to start dancing until yiou are ready and use the moment to take a few cutaways of the guests- all f whom will be watching the couple in expectation.
    7. Get cutaways to cover re framing/fast zooms/ camera movement.
    8. Better would be to edit the dance. Unless they have a special routine for the whole song, it is often possible to use for example the first verse and the final chorus from the sound track but mix in shots from the same parts in different verses/choruses.
    9. Get cutaways to cover re framing/fast zooms/ camera movement.
    10. If you are going to use the whole of a zoom in a shot, zoom slowly and with purpose (ie do not zoom in/out and then reframe, know where you are aiming)
    11. Get cutaways to cover reframing/fast zooms/ camera movement.
    Tim

Thank you for the answer. So the main idea is to film cutaways. I do that, but I do not have the time to take fast cutaways when filming important sceens. Probabily I will get speed with experience. I film cutaways and know how to use them at the church, or over habits, that have the same scenarry, and I know what will be next, and when I have some time to moove my camera in a different direction.

Can you please give me some advice about a camera stabilzer like the DJI Ronin? Is it a usefull thing to have?

Also I saw some guys filming with 2 cameras. For example, he has one camera mounted on a Monopod, and the over on a tripod. The one on the tripod usually has a wide angle mounted, and the over, on the monopod a 70-200. Is this a good idea for filming, and does one person have the time to film with to cameras simultaniosly?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aalexandrion View Post
    Thank you for the answer. So the main idea is to film cutaways. I do that, but I do not have the time to take fast cutaways when filming important sceens. Probabily I will get speed with experience. I film cutaways and know how to use them at the church, or over habits, that have the same scenarry, and I know what will be next, and when I have some time to moove my camera in a different direction.
    Film your cutaways at different times. Shoot anyone watching something at a quiet point in the proceedings and insert it into the first dance and it looks like they are watching the dance.
    Tim

Having a second camera on a tripod is a viable solution. Stabilizers can get you great footage but you need to practice, practice, practice. Finally get the agreement about what you are supposed to do IN WRITING!