Thread: Looking for a good tripod

Default Looking for a good tripod

So I am looking to buy a new tripod for film school and I am thinking about getting a Manfrotto tripod, mainly because its what we use at school. But I read and article where they talked about a VariZoom VZ-TK75A. It is priced pretty good on Amazon and 55 people have given it good reviews. I want to get it but I am not sure if it really IS a good tripod. Or should I just put out the "big bucks" for the Manfrotto tripod?

Blog Entries

I'm still using Manfrotto tripods which I bought 10, 20 and (in one case) 30 years ago. Cheaper brands I bought have long since given up. More importantly you will find that the better brands (like Manfrotto) are simply more fun to use. They stay where they are put, they are easy to set up and put away and they move (pan and tilt) smoothly.
    Just my opinion...

you could try asking these guys... i reckon they know a thing or two about tripods

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/threads...rt-Action-Film
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I have used low priced tripods in the past but they are no comparison to the Manfrotto I have now. Personally I don't have practical experience with the VariZoom but from the images it looks like at least some parts will get loose in the long term.

Default effect of a shaky tripod - here's what you don't want

If you look closely at the beginning of this shot, you'll see the effect of a shaky tripod - to the untrained eye it might seem minor, but you should try to avoid this situation

https://youtu.be/nzEHV3lfIeM

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    I'm still using Manfrotto tripods which I bought 10, 20 and (in one case) 30 years ago. Cheaper brands I bought have long since given up. More importantly you will find that the better brands (like Manfrotto) are simply more fun to use. They stay where they are put, they are easy to set up and put away and they move (pan and tilt) smoothly.
    Just my opinion...
    Me too. I have a used Manfrotto video tripod from the 80s and it is excellent. I use it for semi-professional work (I get paid to shoot music vids) and it is simply ideal.

I bought it used (the 075b) and it is excellent, although heavy. Used, they are still going for 100 but they will last you forever and this one is built like a tank.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

It would help if you posted a budget

Personally I have two Gitzos that i use for stills and perhaps video, when doing video I have a superb, pre owned, rock steady manfrotto 475B, normally I have a Zacuto Z finder also attached (about 200ish) on ebay

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JR1; 03-06-2016 at 03:51 PM.