Thread: Removing Wind from an Audio

Default Removing Wind from an Audio

Hello

I hope everyone is well.

Let me just pre-emptively say that I am a complete newbie to recording - I recorded a video to help fundraise for the London Marathon which I will be running in April.

I got home and listened to it and unfortunately I was drowned out by the wind for a good part of my speaking time.

Does anyone have any tips as to how I can remove or reduce the sound of the wind.
    Or preferably, would it be possible for me to send the file to someone to work their magic and remove the wind noise, for a fee, of course?

Let me know.

Thank you

2. Default

It depends on how bad it is. If it's not too extreme you may be able to reduce low frequencies for an acceptable result. If the wind noise was triggering the recorder's AGC then it may be necessary to add more compression after the eq or manually adjust levels here and there.

If the noise is too loud relative to the speaking it may not be a simple matter to adequately separate them. That might be a job for a pro audio restoration service.

Of course prevention is the best medicine. The earlier in the chain you can address it the better. The first line of defense (defence, whatever) is a foam windscreen. For more drastic wind or weaker sources add a "dead cat", one of those furry covers. Some recorder's have a "wind" setting that cuts the lows much like I describe above, but does it ahead of the AGC to keep it from overreacting to the wind noise. If your wind protection is inadequate (or nonexistent) you should engage this option, though it might not help much with really heavy wind.

Ok - so here is the thing - your video is probably a narration over some nice outdoor shots in and around London - if this is the case I'd just get rid of the old soundtrack and record it again in your bathroom - just mute the original audio and plop in the new one in your video editor

If for some ungodly reason you were onscreen while speaking (personally I try to avoid this as much as possible as I am very shy), this is another can of worms - can you ditch those shots or do you really need people to see you? - if not, could you at least use only the shots of yourself when you are not talking and use the B-roll when you are talking? - if not, then the best bet is to do what bouldersoundguy told you but then manually clip away all the audio in between where you are actually speaking (this isn't as tedious as it sounds, as long as you can see the waveform in your editor) - then throw some ambient sound back in - that's about the best you can do

As a last resort, if you really want to be in the shot, put a green sheet behind you, do your thing, then plunk yourself back in the scene with chroma key - if you make a mess of it this is OK as people will simply think you are doing something "retro"

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Ok - so here is the thing - your video is probably a narration over some nice outdoor shots in and around London - if this is the case I'd just get rid of the old soundtrack and record it again in your bathroom - just mute the original audio and plop in the new one in your video editor
    Great point. I was picturing a "reporter on the scene". But I'd use some other room that's bigger and less reflective to record the new audio.

Attached Images Attached Images