Thread: Atomos Ninja 2 + Sony HVR-HD1000E

Default Atomos Ninja 2 + Sony HVR-HD1000E

Afternoon all,

Has anyone used the Sony HVR-HD1000E with an Atomos Ninja 2?

I have contacted Atomos to see if the camcorder is compatible with the Ninja 2 and they replied;

"It's not on our currently list of supported cameras, but this could be because we do only tend to test the more popular cameras. Perhaps try plugging your camera into a TV and if the output is clean with no menu overlays, then you should be able to use any of the Atomos products with your camera."

The camera does have a clean output, but before I go and buy a Ninja 2 I thought It a good idea to ask around.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

You already have a professional camera

The ninja is great, but it looks like you are going to a Chinese restaurant to order a pizza - is it the tapes you don't like?

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    You already have a professional camera

The ninja is great, but it looks like you are going to a Chinese restaurant to order a pizza - is it the tapes you don't like?
    Yes, I occasionally get green and pink lines across the footage and dropped frames every now and again. Frustrating as I record matches for my local Rugby Club and the equipment belongs to them, explaining lost sections of the game due to either of the above reasons is getting embarrassing now.

What software and hardware are you using to capture off the camera? The problem may not be the camera. You may just need an upgrade to something in your workflow.

I'm using iMovies (Version 10.1.1) to capture and edit the footage.

Default Did you get the Ninja 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff32 View Post
    I'm using iMovies (Version 10.1.1) to capture and edit the footage.
    Hi there, stumbled upon this while researching the very same thing. Did you eventually get the Ninja 2 and did it work with your Sony HD1000?
    I have seen some ProRes 4.2.2 footage from a 5D3 + Ninja2 and that it's 10bit, 200mbps is good enough reason to want to get a ninja2 and still keep my hd1000 a bit longer, it is indeed a very trusty companion and with potential (clean HDMI output) i have rarely tapped.
    If you have got it, would you please be kind as to help with some info as an actual user on these two mysteries:
    I wonder...
    *If the HDMI signal from the Sony into the Ninja is 50/60i, can the Ninja resolve/record 24p, 25p, 30p using this feed then?
    *Since the Sony is HDV 1440x1080, does this create pillars (black bars on both sides of frame) in the final video or does the Ninja somehow fill the frame with actual 1920x1080?
    Your response to these questions would be highly appreciated... i still love my Sony and will not upgrade yet if i don't have to.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by PlayPro; 05-22-2016 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayPro View Post
    Hi there, stumbled upon this while researching the very same thing. Did you eventually get the Ninja 2 and did it work with your Sony HD1000?
    I have seen some ProRes 4.2.2 footage from a 5D3 + Ninja2 and that it's 10bit, 200mbps is good enough reason to want to get a ninja2 and still keep my hd1000 a bit longer, it is indeed a very trusty companion and with potential (clean HDMI output) i have rarely tapped.
    If you have got it, would you please be kind as to help with some info as an actual user on these two mysteries:
    I wonder...
    *If the HDMI signal from the Sony into the Ninja is 50/60i, can the Ninja resolve/record 24p, 25p, 30p using this feed then?
    *Since the Sony is HDV 1440x1080, does this create pillars (black bars on both sides of frame) in the final video or does the Ninja somehow fill the frame with actual 1920x1080?
    Your response to these questions would be highly appreciated... i still love my Sony and will not upgrade yet if i don't have to.

Thank you in advance.
    Sorry for the very late reply!

The Ninja 2 & Sony HD1000E work together perfectly, all previous issues with tapes are now a thing of the past!

I'd love to answer the technical questions you have asked, but i'm afraid i haven't a clue how to find out any of the details you need.

All the best.

Blog Entries

Thanks for coming back and replying, Gruff, even if it turns out to be too late for the last questioner. It all adds to the wealth of information on the internet.
    Tim