Thread: Editing a sound file to sound similar to another

Default Editing a sound file to sound similar to another

Hi

I have sound file that is quite clear, loud and perhaps a bit of reverb on it. I have another file that is pretty much the complete opposite. Is there a way of deciphering what i would need to do to the second file so that it sounds similar to the first one?

I can upload both files if necessary and if someone was able to tell me what to do to make it sound like the first file, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Default

Start with eq. Get the overall tonal balance as close as possible. Perhaps compress it to some degree, add the reverb, apply a mastering limiter to match the level.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Start with eq. Get the overall tonal balance as close as possible. Perhaps compress it to some degree, add the reverb, apply a mastering limiter to match the level.

What would be the best software to use?

4. Default

Pretty much any DAW will work. Sony Vegas is a full featured DAW as well as a video editor, but there are other options. Pro Tools is sort of the industry standard. But if I were you I'd download the free trial of Reaper. It's a fully functional demo that's affordable if you decide to buy.

Pretty much any DAW will work. Sony Vegas is a full featured DAW as well as a video editor, but there are other options. Pro Tools is sort of the industry standard. But if I were you I'd download the free trial of Reaper. It's a fully functional demo that's affordable if you decide to buy.
    Ok, thanks. Total novice so it might not be reverb I need.

Here are the two files. Any chance you can have a listen and give a bit of advice what I need to change to be able to get sound 1 to be like sound 2?

Sound 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/robl15a1uhzqnmx/Neil.wav?dl=0
    Sound 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcd45v363y...r_101.wav?dl=0

Thanks again

6. Default

Here's what I did:

1. Normalize to 0dB peak
    2. Reverb (Kjaerhus freeware)
    3. Equalizer (ReaEQ freeware)
    4. Mastering limiter (what comes with Sony Vegas)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvfiv4fs4r...20BSG.wav?dl=0

Both files had distortion but different kinds that didn't match too well. I tried the eq ahead of the reverb but it sounded better after. It could go either way depending on other factors. I had to fiddle with the parameters to find something that worked okay but it doesn't quite match the target. Eq consists of a 1.3 octave wide 5.8dB boost at 864Hz and a 2.7dB octave LPF at 5.9k. I barely touched it with the mastering limiter, to the point you could perhaps skip that step.

I would bet some level adjustments would need to be made here and there on the source to make it fit, but without the whole thing that's hard to judge.

Blog Entries

Remarkably good job BSG, especially as the Neil sample was so very short. You've cut the tail off the reverd though so I can't tell how accurate a match it is
    Tim

Here's what I did:

1. Normalize to 0dB peak
    2. Reverb (Kjaerhus freeware)
    3. Equalizer (ReaEQ freeware)
    4. Mastering limiter (what comes with Sony Vegas)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvfiv4fs4r...20BSG.wav?dl=0

Both files had distortion but different kinds that didn't match too well. I tried the eq ahead of the reverb but it sounded better after. It could go either way depending on other factors. I had to fiddle with the parameters to find something that worked okay but it doesn't quite match the target. Eq consists of a 1.3 octave wide 5.8dB boost at 864Hz and a 2.7dB octave LPF at 5.9k. I barely touched it with the mastering limiter, to the point you could perhaps skip that step.

I would bet some level adjustments would need to be made here and there on the source to make it fit, but without the whole thing that's hard to judge.
    Excellent, thank you. Got a few others to do in the same way, so will get onto them now.

Thanks for all the advice and help