Thread: using radio broadcasts in short films

1. Default using radio broadcasts in short films

Hi everyone
    I've got an idea for a short film I would like to make. One of the scenes in it would be shot inside a car with the radio on. My question is, do you think I would have to get permission to use the broadcast in my film. I know strictly speaking you probably should but do people bother about that and would it stop me from entering it in to any type of competition or short film festival?

You need permission if you want to show it in public i.e also a festival. My suggestion would be to get a voice artist to fake it.

Blog Entries

Yes, you will need permission, especially if you're going to be submitting the film to festivals. Quite often the festival will ask for copies of your "permissions" when you submit the film.

But, just ask. Write a letter (not just an e-mail) and follow up with a 'phone call a week later. You'd be surprised how may people say "Yes" for smaller projects. Especially if it doesn't involve music and you give them a plug in the credits. Just make sure that they confirm in writing.

But in answer to your question... It's like breaking the speed limit. Most of the time you get away with it but when you get caught... ouch!

4. Default

Thanks gents, I suspected as much. I think I will probably have to go down the voiceover route because its unlikley I will get much joy from radio 2 !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigglesuk View Post
    Thanks gents, I suspected as much. I think I will probably have to go down the voiceover route because its unlikley I will get much joy from radio 2 !
    Possibly not, but how about this:
    There are numerous little local radio stations. They might be grateful of the opportunity to feature in your film - a bit of free product placement, if you like. They might even agree to voice exactly what you want (not necesarily on air) so long as it shows them in a good light.
    Depending on the story, it might not need to be a station that could really be picked up buy a car - howabout a local community internet station or hospital radio.
    The thing is, if you get them a plug they may well reciprocate by giving your film a plug. And you might get an interview and you can plug your aerial views business.

As Bob Hoskins yused to say on those ads ... "It's good to talk"
    Tim

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Possibly not, but how about this:
    There are numerous little local radio stations. They might be grateful of the opportunity to feature in your film - a bit of free product placement, if you like. They might even agree to voice exactly what you want (not necesarily on air) so long as it shows them in a good light.
    Depending on the story, it might not need to be a station that could really be picked up buy a car - howabout a local community internet station or hospital radio.
    The thing is, if you get them a plug they may well reciprocate by giving your film a plug. And you might get an interview and you can plug your aerial views business.

As Bob Hoskins yused to say on those ads ... "It's good to talk"
    Aha not thought of that. And this is why I love this forum !