Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to Start a Video Review Series

Default Attempting to Start a Video Review Series

So, I'm very new to all of this, and I have been thinking of starting a YouTube series of video game reviews (just to put it out there, not necessarily make money) and I was wondering if anyone around would have some answers to a few questions I have, if there's anyone around that knows about game capture and expected video quality for youtube, specifically.

I wanted to start the series with some semblance of effort and quality, so I've gathered up some gear that isn't a webcam and my laptop's microphone, while trying to keep it cheap. Currently, I have:

Elgato Game Capture HD (the original, not the HD60)
    Samson Go Mic (very small, but has surprisingly clear recording quality)
    Pop Filter (cheap one I found on Amazon)

Is there anything you could think would be missing or very sub-par?

Due to the stylistic choice of the videos I intend to make, I will be forgoing a camera, as there won't be any live-action video. However, this leads me to a slight complication. To explain, in these videos, I would like to have an overlay in the bottom right corner, of a character showing a bit of my reaction to what I'm saying. I'm having the art assets commissioned by someone, and I wanted to know: What would be good dimensions and image quality/format for this? They haven't started on the actual assets that will be used in the video, but when they asked about quality and size of the final version, I didn't know what to say. So, I figured that I would ask around a forum that specializes in video editing and production such as this to find out.

In case anyone was wondering, I will be capturing footage mainly from my PS3, in 1080p whenever possible.

I can't wait to hear back

It sounds like you already have some kit

just have a quick go, see how it turns out, and you'll probably find any major deficiencies yourself - cost is $0

My guess is that your sound will blow chunks and you'll need to work on it

not sure if the pip will be worthwhile, but again you might as well try one and see

Any idea about the art assets? I was just curious... I'm aware that not everyone around here uses images in their editing, but I was wondering if there were any rules of thumb for it...

I imagine that jpg or ping files would be fine

you can resize them in your editor, so I'd say 5mp should be plenty of resolution

what is your editor again?

Well, right now, I'm using the cheapest setup I can, a combination of Windows Movie Maker (2012, I think?) to mash up clips, while using Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 to apply overlays over the top of my footage...

I tried to see if Sony offers free access to older versions of Sony Vegas, like Unity does with previous versions of their engine, but I had no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SwimmyReviews View Post
    Well, right now, I'm using the cheapest setup I can, a combination of Windows Movie Maker (2012, I think?) to mash up clips, while using Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 to apply overlays over the top of my footage...

I tried to see if Sony offers free access to older versions of Sony Vegas, like Unity does with previous versions of their engine, but I had no luck.
    once you get tired of being microshafted by wmm, check out the entry level version of Sony Vegas

Thanks for the tip! All the prices I'd seen from available versions of Vegas were $130+, so this more base version would probably be better...

Can you import MP4 video to it? All the windows tools don't recognize MP4, and that's the only format my Elgato will export... and then you consider that conversion is a messy, annoying process... it would be good to be able to drag and drop my MP4's.

Quote Originally Posted by SwimmyReviews View Post
    Thanks for the tip! All the prices I'd seen from available versions of Vegas were $130+, so this more base version would probably be better...

Can you import MP4 video to it? All the windows tools don't recognize MP4, and that's the only format my Elgato will export... and then you consider that conversion is a messy, annoying process... it would be good to be able to drag and drop my MP4's.
    its actually a blessing that wmm won't import MP4 because that would only give you the false hope that you could do something useful afterwards

If the base version of Vegas won't import MP4, I'll eat my shirt - but the best bet is to hear from some of the Vegas people on this forum

Blog Entries

Swimmy.
    The entry level Sony Product (which is Vegas in all but name, but has some limitations is 32.95 which unless you're talking Irish dollars is considerably less than what you've found.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio

It does have limitations - considerably fewer tracks than other versions and no DVD authoring, but if you don't need those it'll get you going.

Here's a comparison.
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio/compare

I've never had issues reading mp4s into Vegas Pro, but who knows how compliant mp4s from your software are? The good news is you can have a FREE trial of Movie Studio (link at top of the first page I linked to)
    Tim

Thanks for the advice. I'm not really sure, but people make videos with the Elgato all the time, and some youtubers I watch talk about how they use Sony Vegas, so I'm sure it'll be alright. If not, I'm sure I could convert it... would you recommend a certain type to convert to if MP4 doesn't work out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast