Thread: HIstoric Wooden Toothing Plane Restoration

Default HIstoric Wooden Toothing Plane Restoration

I found an old toothing plane that matches my inherited set of historic wooden planes and could put it back to use. Yet another one of me tool restoration videos

Blog Entries

Always love looking at your restoration videos, Ray, and this was no exception. I don't know whether there was enough information there for me to restore a plane, but I'm guessing if I was in the business of doing that I'd probably know enough for it to make sense. I just love watching the old tools come back to life as you explain what's going on. In a world where everything new is disposable it's great to see you doing this.

Technically I wondered if it was possibly cut a bit too quickly at times. Also I think it's time you got yourself (or made yourself) a slider. The moving camera shots were OK but with a slider you could make them super smooth which will match the mostly tripod mounted shots of the rest of the film.
    Tim

Thanks for the feedback like always. The video is mainly targeted at YouTube audience and the attention span is pretty low there. so I always try to cut as tight as possible. Maybe it's about time to not push it further now.
    The moving camera shots were actually done on a tripod with sliding pads but I was in a hurry. Good that you pointed it out so that I know it's indeed noticeable. Actually I was already looking for DIY slider tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I found an old toothing plane that matches my inherited set of historic wooden planes and could put it back to use. Yet another one of me tool restoration videos

[video=youtube;f1NSgl6JsBI]httpeo]
    Nice work on both the restoration and the edit.how old is that thing ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Unfortunately Kirschen has not answered my question about how old the used logo is but my educated guess is at least 70 years. The last mention of the company from the owners mark on the body I could find is from 1934.
    Last edited by XXLRay; 02-02-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Wow! Older than I had imagined !