Thread: Music Video for Jazz Drummer

1. Default Music Video for Jazz Drummer

Hi guys

I've been video and editing musicians for a few years now and I've posted a few things here in the past. Hopefully I'm getting better, but I really appreciate any feedback that I get. Please take a look at this latest video and let me know what you think. I know that jazz music isn't for everyone, but that's the background I come from, so that's where I seem to have found my niche...

I'd particularly like some thoughts on the intro sequence, which I was initially rather proud of, but now not I'm not so sure.... Might have gone a bit overboard on the crazy plugins...

Anyway, thanks for your time.

D

Blog Entries

Loved the music and the look of this generally,
    I did think the shots of the guitarist and the pianist had very different looks about them to the drummer and horns. I was also going to comment that I didn't like that the musicians were filmed separately - especially when jazz is supposedly so much about "the moment" as musicians feed off each other. Then I read the notes you posted on vimeo and discover they were indeed recorded separately (at least the hornds re-done and the guitar added). They do it very well but it still rather flies in the face of jazz.

I'm not trying to discredit it in any way, it's just that I'm rapidly approaching the end of Bill Bruford's autobiography which I received for Christmas in which he's very pro recording the one session, the one moment, and contrasts that with the production of pop which he equates to the "programmer/producer" who can take as long as he likes to compose and tweak the sounds to produce "perfection". If you haven't read it, I can highly recommend the book.

I can understand your concerns about the intro. I like the glitchy beginning. I wasn't so sure about changing direction on a similar shot (0:0. On first hearing I thought the cacophony build at the beginning was too much - nice idea but too much of it. It sounded like avant garde jazz and might put some potential viewers off (whereas "Shadows" itself, whilst modern, is very melodic. On second hearing it didn't seem so extreme, but how many people other than jazz aficionados will have a second hearing? I'd also give the break at the end of the "cacophony" about half a second more before commencing the number.

But I really enjoyed it and will look/listen again.
    Tim

Nice !!!! sorry ....

very nice indeed. only criticism is the grading is a bit inconsistent ...
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Loved the music and the look of this generally,
    I did think the shots of the guitarist and the pianist had very different looks about them to the drummer and horns. I was also going to comment that I didn't like that the musicians were filmed separately - especially when jazz is supposedly so much about "the moment" as musicians feed off each other Then I read the notes you posted on vim.eo and discover they were indeed recorded separately (at least the hornds re-done and the guitar added). They do it very well but it still rather flies in the face of jazz.

I'm not trying to discredit it in any way, it's just that I'm rapidly approaching the end of Bill Bruford's autobiography which I received for Christmas in which he's very pro recording the one session, the one moment, and contrasts that with the production of pop which he equates to the "programmer/producer" who can take as long as he likes to compose and tweak the sounds to produce "perfection". If you haven't read it, I can highly recommend the book.

I can understand your concerns about the intro. I like the glitchy beginning. I wasn't so sure about changing direction on a similar shot (0:0. On first hearing I thought the cacophony build at the beginning was too much - nice idea but too much of it. It sounded like avant garde jazz and might put some potential viewers off (whereas "Shadows" itself, whilst modern, is very melodic. On second hearing it didn't seem so extreme, but how many people other than jazz aficionados will have a second hearing? I'd also give the break at the end of the "cacophony" about half a second more before commencing the number.

But I really enjoyed it and will look/listen again.
    Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for being so slow at getting back to you.. Been a manic few days... and I have terrible man flu...

My mate was taught by Bill Bruford at university.. said he was a lovely man! I guess I sort of agree with you about your in the moment thing, but then again there's several very famous classic jazz albums that have been altered after... One of my favourite albums was Wes Mongomerys albums "Willow Weep For Me" was a live recording with strings added after, and cannonball adderlys brother did a "Fake" jazz club recording in a studio to promote his mates club... Loads more examples, but I can't be bothered to get into that.. If you really want to listen to jazz you should go and watch it I think for the whole in the moment experience. Not sure you ever get the real deal off a compressed eq'd and mastered recording, except for maybe some of the great old bluenote ones done before they started sucking the dynamics out of music...

Anyway yeah, funny you mention giving it half a second more in the break, as that's exactly what there was, but Ollie asked me to move it closer (apparently it's like that on the cd?). Not sure what I think about the "different Looks" thing. For me it was really fun having all these different bits to stick together and I quite liked the contrast between different looks. TBH I can't remember how I went about grading the different shots as the main bulk of the edit was done over a year ago. I'm never sure what the deal is with colour correction? Before I got into using scopes I just used to use my eye and I sometimes think some of my old projects are the better for it. Do you think I should have tried to tie all the different sections together through colour grading and if so, how should I do that?

Thanks

Dan

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post

Nice !!!! sorry ....

very nice indeed. only criticism is the grading is a bit inconsistent ...
    Blimey... The bloody fast show didn't do us any favours in the jazz world...

Yeah again, I'd love to know how to go about colouring my footage better.. I was pretty pleased with this, but I can see what you mean... Thing is that this was shot in many different parts over quite a long time and I've significantly changed the way I work..

These were only shot as AVCHD or small compressed files on a C100 for the most part so I can't colour correct the way I'd really like to. When the main song starts all that footage has just 3 adjustment layers and a vignette on top. I used neat video de - noiser, shapening and Film Convert (same LUT for each Clip). Because the settings are so different in each clip the "wood Room" where the sax's and drums are recorded looks REALLY different from where the piano is (a huge live room with a massive open window on a mini lake / pond thing). The first bit is shot more recently and now I tend to do far more initial colour correction to correct my colour temprature and luma before I add the LUTS. Hence, the beginning bit all looks a bit colder as I've tried to match the colours on a RGB scope 1st...
    Anyway if any one has any grading advice, or knows any cool sites to check out then please let me know.

Thanks

Dan