Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camcorder for video recording classical piano?

Default camcorder for video recording classical piano?

Hello

I wish to record a grand piano using a camcorder and a separate audio recorder, the Zoom H2.

I have come across this problem - using a DSLR which has the usual 30 minute video recording limit - the camera split the file which was over the 4GB limit into 3. Looking at these videos on my PC it seemed to me that there were small gaps between 1 and 2, and between 2 and 3. This would make the syncing of audio and video difficult or impossible.

Camcorders do not have the 30 minute limit but do they split files in this way?

So far I have been using Nero 2016 to do the syncing.

Not sure that I need a 4K camcorder as full HD appears to be good and not everying one has a 4K TV yet ...

Advice please!

Geoff

Blog Entries

Camcorders per se do not split video. However if you record onto SD cards that are formatted as FAT (or FAT16). So ensure you format the casd as FAT32 (which has a 32GB limit). In fact it's always best to format the card in the camera anyway.

With your cirrent problem, syncing is easy. You put the audio from the H2 on the timeline, then add the three clips and align the waveforms. You get close, then zoom in to get it accurate. You will have a little bit of blank video (add a cutaway?) but that's farr less of a sin than a jump in the audio.
    Tim

Tim

Thanks for your reply - I have learnt that best to format from within the camera! Will try the syncing and see how that goes.

Could you suggest any camcorder around the 500? Do you think it is best to go for a 4K camcorder? future proof etc?

Cheers

Geoff

Blog Entries

I apologise if you are already aware of this, but it's safer if I assume little or no understanding.

If you are looking primarily to record piano, I imagine most (all) will be indoors and therefore low light performance will be key. You'll find all cameras can record in low light, but it's a question of how "noisy" (by which I mean video noise) the image will be. One significant factor in this is the sensor size - the bigger the better. Lower cost camcorders have sensors of 1/6th inch to 1/3rd inch. Indeed 1/3 inch was used in many high end consumer/low end professional cameras. Indeed the Sony CX900 broke the mold being the first "consumer" camcorder with a 1" senson - but still considerably above your budget.

I can't see anything with a large sensor (eg 1") at much less than double your budget.

For low light recording, there's little doubt in my mind that you're going down the right route with a DSLR. All bar one of the disadvantages of a DSLR simply don't apply in your situation. You can predict the lighting, you can predict where all the action is going to be, you aren't using on-board audio (other than to sync). So here's a thought ...

Assuming you're not trading in your existing DSLR, why not get another? Maybe second hand. Just make sure they don't both hit their recording limit at the same time. The big plus here is that you will have two angles which you can cut between, making a much more interesting video.
    Tim

problem with DSLR is that the 4GB limit can be reached before the 30 minute limit and can happen in the middle of a movement. You don't see that as a problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcox View Post
    problem with DSLR is that the 4GB limit can be reached before the 30 minute limit and can happen in the middle of a movement. You don't see that as a problem?
    Not if you have two cameras and start them at different times to ensure they don't both hit the limits at the same time.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Not if you have two cameras and start them at different times to ensure they don't both hit the limits at the same time.
    OK! so to get a camera to work sensibly you have to buy 2!

Geoff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcox View Post
    OK! so to get a camera to work sensibly you have to buy 2!
    I was offering a solution based on the fact you already have a DSLR. (I did say Assuming you're not trading in your existing DSLR, why not get another?)

If your budget is 500, the quality you will get in low light from a camcorder will be disappointing compared to what you're used to with the DSLR. Of course a single camcorder will do the job, but if you want excellent results, you'll need to spend considerably more.
    Tim

Sorry, I should have said that the one DSLR I have now is a Canon 400D so no video. I probably had the low light problem with the Canon 700D so 1 inch sensor needed for recording piano inside a concert hall?

10. Default

It works !!!
    I have just imported into Nero 2016 the 3 video files from the Canon 700D which had been created when I hit the 4GB limit - and lo and behold they meet without gaps !!
    Thanks for all your help folks!
    Cheers
    Geoff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast