Thread: 50 fps upload to You Tube

Default 50 fps upload to You Tube

Probably old news to many of you but I have only just become aware that You Tube accepts upload at 50fps, and since that is the frame rate I most use for my windsurfing videos I thought it was time I tried it out. The video attached is just a randon clip chosen primarily because it consists what seems to be some of the hardest aspects to get in good definition on a hard disk version let alone when further compressed on You Tube. I have posted it here to see if anyone has any advice on improving it further. Here is my workflow:-

Original footage: Gopro Hero 3 Black 1080p at 50 fps

Edit workflow: Clipped and converted to .avi in Gopro Studio retaining framerate etc. Then edited in terms of grading, fisheye remove option enabled.
    Imported to Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 with project setting matching the imported media.
    Title and audio added etc. Reseample disabled.
    Rendered using Mainconcept at 1080 & 50fps CBR 280000 to my hard drive.
    Upload to You Tube.

Mikerb, I've been filming and editing for a good few years but never put stuff on the social media, things have recently changed, no problem with vimeo but need to upload to youtube at 25/50 fps, are your results good, that is smooth motion, a new door may have opened up for me so I want to get it right first time on you tube

I have never managed to get You Tube to the same quality as the rendered video on my PC but most people are using smart phones or I pads etc to access YT especially if it is part of a post on Facebook or Twitter etc so you need to take account of that. What is means really is that they need to be pretty short, all subject matter needs to be a reasonable size or it will be lost on a small screen and the slight loss of quality is not that noticeable.

As per my post I have only just become aware that YT accepts 50fps so up until now my videos have all been rendered at 25fps despite the fact that original footage is usually at 50fps.
    I do not use any of the export to YT facilities which most NLEs provide because you then have very little control of the parameters. Instead I always create a video file on my hard disk, then go to YT and upload that file.
    It used to be the case that 720 was the optimum format for upload to YT but 1080 is fine now. What is still a bit of a pain on YT is that the viewer has to select HD 1080 or the video will stream at SD, and it can take up to 24 hours for an apparently finished upload to actually finish processing to the quality you specified. So it is best to leave your video on YT for a good few hours after it has finished uploading before you view it to check how it has turned out. There is evidently better quality to be had on YT if you open a commercial account with them as well!

You need to be careful to ensure you do not use any copyrighted material ( e.g. music) or you will get censored by YT.

My You tube channel is "mikerbwind". Take a look at a few ( there are some Kayak and MTB videos as well as Windsurfing so you can see a mix of scenarios). They are all uploaded at 25fps except the one I posted about. Videos since 2013 have been with Gopro Hero 3 Black....before that a 960 Gopro Hero, so much lower spec.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    You need to be careful to ensure you do not use any copyrighted material ( e.g. music) or you will get censored by YT.
    Not because it's wrong, just because it'll get censored!
    Given that there's loads of royalty free music out there, plenty of which is free and some of which is provided by members of this forum, there's really no excuse. Note I said royalty free. Copyright free only exists on stuff that is old enough to be out of copyright.
    Tim

Yes of course it is wrong...did not think it worth stating the obvious. Note that Royalty Free music means just that.....ie you can purchase the right to re use the music and therefore do not have to pay a fee per play i.e a "royalty". It is not free.
    I use Creative Commons music which has several classifications defining what you can and cannot do with it. For example, you may need only to give credit to the artist. I do not claim any revenue on YT and therefore the CC rights owner can place revenue earning ads on my videos. Contrary to your last comment, there is copyright free music other than "old" music but it mostly tends to be extracts and samples. You Tube itself also gives access to a reasonable catalogue of copyright free music.

Blog Entries

Yes of course it is wrong...did not think it worth stating the obvious.
    I wasn't trying to start an argument or disagree with you, mikerb.

It is worth stating the obvious, because whilst you and I know that, there may well be many people reading this to whom it is not obvious as is evidenced by the number of YouTube posts using copyrighted material without permission, many of whom are blissfully unaware it is wrong.
    Note that Royalty Free music means just that.....ie you can purchase the right to re use the music and therefore do not have to pay a fee per play i.e a "royalty". It is not free.
    Which is precisely why I said
    Given that there's loads of royalty free music out there, plenty of which is free

Contrary to your last comment, there is copyright free music other than "old" music but it mostly tends to be extracts and samples.
    Given that copyright exists automatically and appears virtually impossible to give away, I'd like to challenge that (in the interest of healthy debate, not winning arguments). Can you cite any examples? It does rather sound from your description that they would be of little practical use to the video maker though.
    You Tube itself also gives access to a reasonable catalogue of copyright free music.
    I believe you'll find they they a catalogue of royalty free music, not copyright free music.

Irrespective of the intricacies of copyright law (and I'm only really considering UK copyright law) the main thing we need to do is to encourage people to understand that they should not simply be using any music they like in their videos, but should take care to ensure they are not infringing someone else's rights. Whether or not they agree with copyright laws, they should do this as a courtesy from one creative artist to another.
    Tim

was your video posted here to demonstrate 50fps youtube upload only ...or would you would like critique on the video too ?

do you have an upload to youtube of the same video at 25fps for comparison ?

does your editing suite render at 1080 50fps ?

i dont see an option for 50fps iin my editing program....tbh, i never even considered it in the past
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933