Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Which camera to buy? I'm lost, please help!

  1. #1

    Default Which camera to buy? I'm lost, please help!

    Hello everyone!

    Ok I will try to be straight to the point. I love video, just like the most of you and I've been filming with a GoPro along with a Feiyu gimbal. I also have an iPhone 6s which I haven't used really much regard video editing. Ok the Gopro was a good starting point for traveling etc but now I see it has a lot of limitations.
    I shoot and edit for fun, it's a great passion of mine and I want to get better at it. Usually, my girlfriend takes care of the pictures while I'm in "charge" for the video. Nevertheless, a camera that could take good pictures would be a plus for me.

    I have researched a lot in the internet and it seems that the Panasonic GH 4 would be a good solution, but I still feel a bit lost between so much information, this is why I'm seeking your help.

    (note: My father has a Nikon D4 and a D610 and a few lenses that are quite good.)

    My questions are:
    1- Should I get a mirrorless or a DSLR camera?
    which one?
    in the long-run, which is the best investment? considering the prices of the lenses etc.(budget 1,5-2k including lenses)

    2- Should I get a Nikon DSLR in order to use the lenses my father has?

    3- Should I stick to one of my dad's cameras and spend no money? would they do the job?


    Should you need anymore information please ask me!
    Thanks in advance guys!
    Last edited by slr; 01-25-2016 at 01:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    The gh4 is a nice camera - for sure

    if I was going to get back into serious video today I'd buy one of the professional units from the canon line, but that's just personal preference

    if you are thinking of 4K, make sure you have an iMac super-pro with a twice-overclocked CPU and bags of disk and memory and GPUs and what not - otherwise your experience will be a very brief and unhappy one

    the canon xa20 is a good camera

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    The gh4 is a nice camera - for sure

    if I was going to get back into serious video today I'd buy one of the professional units from the canon line, but that's just personal preference

    if you are thinking of 4K, make sure you have an iMac super-pro with a twice-overclocked CPU and bags of disk and memory and GPUs and what not - otherwise your experience will be a very brief and unhappy one

    the canon xa20 is a good camera
    Thanks for your answer! I have a Macbook Pro, 2,4 GHz intel core i5, 8gb RAM. Have been using Final Cut Pro X for video editing. the 4K would be good but I guess I would mostly use 1920x1080 format.

  4. #4

    Default

    ps: what do you think of Sony HDR-XR160?

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...HDD_Flash.html

    I know it is not new but my brother bought it a few years ago and used it only twice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slr View Post
    ps: what do you think of Sony HDR-XR160?


    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...HDD_Flash.html

    I know it is not new but my brother bought it a few years ago and used it only twice.
    the xr160 looks like a nice consumer-grade video camera - I haven't used this camera so my concerns would be a) can you adjust all the camera settings manually and b) does it have good low light performance. Plan on using a separate audio capture device.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    the xr160 looks like a nice consumer-grade video camera - I haven't used this camera so my concerns would be a) can you adjust all the camera settings manually and b) does it have good low light performance. Plan on using a separate audio capture device.
    According to their website,

    PROS:




    • Zoom range/performance (35)
    • Easy to use (27)
    • Great picture quality (22)
    • Great sound (21)
    • Image stabilization (1


    CONS:




    • Poor in low light (4)
    • Poor still image (4)


    what now?
















  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slr View Post
    According to their website,

    PROS:




    • Zoom range/performance (35)
    • Easy to use (27)
    • Great picture quality (22)
    • Great sound (21)
    • Image stabilization (1


    CONS:




    • Poor in low light (4)
    • Poor still image (4)


    what now?



    I'd stay away from a camera that isn't at least decent in low light

    check out the canon XA20 and see what you think

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    I'd stay away from a camera that isn't at least decent in low light

    check out the canon XA20 and see what you think
    According to the same website, the Canon XA20 is also not very good in low light.

    source: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...camcorder.html

  9. #9

    Default

    There are zillions of DSLRs (or mirrorless) and the GH4 is a great camera for a hobbyist and is also used professionally. I just shot a music video on one of those: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etT4rVrGyXc

    However, to best answer, I would like a little more information, specifically:

    What do you want to film with it?
    What times of day would you like to shoot with it (i.e. night).
    Would you like it to take pretty still photos as well?
    What is the focal length of the lenses you have and manufacturer? e.g. 16mm Samyang.
    Do you need sound?
    Do you have other accoutrements, specifically a tripod and fluid head?
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slr View Post
    According to the same website, the Canon XA20 is also not very good in low light.

    source: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...camcorder.html
    !!!!

    I've used this camera in pretty much no light with good results - are you sure??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
  2. I am lost and need help
    By JAGERLAFLEUR in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
  3. Canon HD camera using Rebel XT lenses, 4-6 Meg Pixel still camera combo
    By dydavid in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 06:06 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 10:49 PM
  5. Seems I've Lost
    By shiner in forum Forum Announcements and News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 05:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •