Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bypass Video-FX?

Default Bypass Video-FX?

Hello,

In Sony Vegas Pro 13 I have 4 video tracks in my example and for each of them I would like to include different Video-FX.
    I figured out how to add and set Video-FX.
    Now I'm looking for a way how to bypass them.

Example:
    Video track 1 is 60 seconds long and I would like to use a Video-FX from 00:20 - 00:22
    As far as I understood it is possible to use Keyframes in order to set when an effect starts and ends.
    However, for many Video-FX I could not find such "animation".
    Furthermore when I tried this, the effect was visible from the beginning, but it was more like a "frozen effect".
    (It was visible, but didn't "do" anything - I would prefer it to be invisible.)

For this reason I'm wondering if there is a simple Bypass On/Off setting which can be placed at 00:20 and 00:22 (as in my example).
    In many DAWs (ok, Vegas isn't a DAW, but the layout is similar) this is possible; independent of what kind of effect it is.
    In Sony Vegas I haven't found a way yet.

Sorry if that's a total noob question, but it's my 3rd day in the Test period and I would like to know the basics.
    In the manual I could only find the keyframe topic, but it only solved my problem partly, very partly...

Thanks for any help!

2. Default

Split the clip and add the effect directly to the desired one. You can leave it as a cut or crossfade the parts. Alternatively, split the clip and move the one you want the effect on to another track, add the effect to the track.

Quote Originally Posted by St3f4n View Post
    - - - However, for many Video-FX I could not find such "animation".- - -
    Am I correct in assuming that this means you do not find a way to animate some of the FX?
    If so, note that some FX have an "Animate" button, while (in v 11 and newer versions) others have a "clock-like" button for Animation that you need to press to activate the Keyframe Controller.
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-21-2016 at 07:24 PM.

4. Default

Maybe he means "automation".

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Maybe he means "automation".
    Only he knows. The change in the FX dialog Animate buttons in v 11 and after has been a regular topic on the forums though.
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-21-2016 at 07:32 PM.

6. Default

I see. I was looking at v6 I have on my old computer at home. We've got 13 at the studio but I haven't done any serious video on it yet, just audio.

Thank you for your replies.

I like the idea with the split/cut.

And yes, automation is a very good describing.
    By saying "However, for many Video-FX I could not find such "animation"." I meant that for those I was not sure if it's possible to create keyframes.
    I wrote "Animation" because in Sony Vegas it is called "Animation" (a symbol with a clock).

But anyway I will try the idea with the splitting.
    (I would prefer to keep it in the same track, though).

Regards!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by St3f4n View Post
    (I would prefer to keep it in the same track, though).
    That is no problem. I'm not sure you understood teh full meaning when bouldersoundguy said (in post #2) "Split the clip and add the effect directly to the desired one."

In Vegas you can add FX in four different place:
    1. To the event (ie to each separate item on the timeline)
    2. To the track (which is what i think you've been doing from your description)
    3. To each piece of source media
    4. To the whole project
    Tim

@Tim:
    Yes, I understood it.
    I wrote the sentence which you quoted just because bouldersoundguy said: "Alternatively, split the clip and move the one you want the effect on to another track, add the effect to the track."

Thanks for listing the 4 possible FX options.
    All of them look interesting and useful to me.
    Probably I will use #1 most times.
    (In my current video.)

Regards

To confirm for those who might be confused by all this "Animation" here:
    In the Vegas Pros 11 to 13 Video FX windows where there is no Animate button, there are clock icons ("symbol with the clock") next to each setting of the effect. These are the "animate" buttons (in OFX plugins) for the event, and can be used the same way. That means that it is "possible to use Keyframes in order to set when an effect starts and ends."
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-22-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast