Thread: I know this is an amateur forum, but I also get paid...

Default I know this is an amateur forum, but I also get paid...

I now know it is possible to get professional results with 'amateur' equipment. It is not the kit, rather it is how it is used.

This video was the band's creative choice and I was there to execute their vision, adding my own touches to their prog rock style. I have different cameras available to me but the choice, and the only choice was the little GH4. The reason is:

- They wanted grain and dirtiness
    - Size: We needed something tiny to cram into small spaces
    - 4k: Invaluable in post
    - Small that could 'spun' and moved around.

In some cases, we were crammed right back against a wall and the only way to get the shot was with something small and 4k.

This means we can go down to Currys, buy a camera and get paid for what we do. The band, incidentally, want another vid! Here is the link and would love to know what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etT4rVrGyXc
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Blog Entries

Well, it's a helluva lot better than my last paid gig (but those were school nativity plays so ...)
    I liked the concept and the setting. As always with performance (or semi-performance) videos it's difficult to keep the story moving. It had begin to feel repetitive for me a little before 2:58 when you introduced a few new shots, but it's not like I'm sitting here thinking "you could hacve done this, you could have done that". As I say, it's difficult.

Being nit-picky:
    I wasn't sure about the out of focus looks on the close-ups - especially the first close-up of the girl's eyes. I presume that was an artistic choice, which is fair enough but then we seemed to have a mix of different amounts of out of focus - the girls eyes and the girl's lips in particular.
    There appeared to be some (minor) inconsistency between the grading (in particular colour) between shots from the same angle where I would expect them to be identical.
    The shots of the full band on stage was poorly lit - it was inconsitently dark - we could see the members on the right, but the keyboard player was all but invisible.
    There was one shot where the white telecaster went from being dark into being lit (but I can't find it now) which seemed a bit odd.
    Although I thought the shots where you throw the camera around were excellent (I don't normally like that) I wonder whether the the combination of those shots and the quick cutting was just a tad too much in the fast 9/4 section at the end.
    As I say, very nit-picky,

If it was my band (no that I have a band) I#d have booked you again
    Tim

The out-of-focus and particularly 'dark' shots of the band were entirely deliberate. The band didn't want to be in the vid so we made them 'all but invisible.' Inconsistency is also a small part of the idea of dragging in viewer attention.

Glad you'd have booked me again!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Well, it's a helluva lot better than my last paid gig (but those were school nativity plays so ...)
    I liked the concept and the setting. As always with performance (or semi-performance) videos it's difficult to keep the story moving. It had begin to feel repetitive for me a little before 2:58 when you introduced a few new shots, but it's not like I'm sitting here thinking "you could hacve done this, you could have done that". As I say, it's difficult.

Being nit-picky:
    I wasn't sure about the out of focus looks on the close-ups - especially the first close-up of the girl's eyes. I presume that was an artistic choice, which is fair enough but then we seemed to have a mix of different amounts of out of focus - the girls eyes and the girl's lips in particular.
    There appeared to be some (minor) inconsistency between the grading (in particular colour) between shots from the same angle where I would expect them to be identical.
    The shots of the full band on stage was poorly lit - it was inconsitently dark - we could see the members on the right, but the keyboard player was all but invisible.
    There was one shot where the white telecaster went from being dark into being lit (but I can't find it now) which seemed a bit odd.
    Although I thought the shots where you throw the camera around were excellent (I don't normally like that) I wonder whether the the combination of those shots and the quick cutting was just a tad too much in the fast 9/4 section at the end.
    As I say, very nit-picky,

If it was my band (no that I have a band) I#d have booked you again
    Also, I agree with the 'repetitiveness.' I wanted something different for the initial part to break it up a bit more. As we all know, shooting a music vid is a collaborative effort and the band wanted the initial part to be 'straight.'

I'm really open to suggestions on how that could've been done better.

I've been thinking about this and personally, I'd have put the lyrics on the screen (not all, just some of them), because I think they are too difficult to understand and this would've enhanced the vid. What do you think?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaonabike View Post
    I've been thinking about this and personally, I'd have put the lyrics on the screen (not all, just some of them), because I think they are too difficult to understand and this would've enhanced the vid. What do you think?
    Personally? Artsy/Emphasis shots - then possibly. As subtitles as an aid to understanding, then no.
    What I mean by artsy/emphasis shots are when the words form part of the video although I'm not a great fan of those videos which consist solely of the words (there's a name for them but I can't remember offhand). What I mean is you might have a word or several words that you want to emphasise which pop up/float out or whatever. I think this can be quite effective (It was also very effective done manually in Bob Dylan's oft imitated film for Subterranean Homesick Blues https://youtu.be/67u2fmYz7S4

My thought re subtitles goes something like this: The message is not just in the words and music, but is also in the performance and it is up to the performers to put the message across/tell the story in their own way. If lyrics are difficult/impossible to make out - so be it. Putting subtitles would seem to me a bit like an implied criticism of the performance or the band's ability to tell the story. If you were putting them on for academic reasons - so someone could study or learn the songs - that's a different matter.

After all, you wouldn't put musical scores, chord charts or TABs on the video.

As I say, just a personal view - others will, I'm sure disagree.
    Tim