Thread: Making an image spin

Default Making an image spin

Heya,

I'm currently working on a video project for school in Vegas Pro 13. I have used the software in the past for simple edits, although the project I have on hand is slightly more complicated. Well, I've been trying to find a way to make the wheel in the middle of the Indian flag start spinning in a clockwise direction, first slowly, and then increasing in speed until it becomes a blur and the entire image fades out into another clip.

The problem is that I have absolutely no idea how to isolate the wheel and make it spin. How do I go about doing that? I'd appreciate tips. Thanks

Blog Entries

EDIT:
    The written explanation looks much longer and more complex than actually doing it is

You actually have three separate problems here:
    1. Isolating the wheel
    2. Making it spin
    3. Making the spin speed accelerate

1. Isolate the wheel.(This aasumes that the wheel is central in the image, if not you have to play around with the rotation centre but that's beyond what I'm going to cover here)
    a) Duplicate the track
    b) on the upper track, open the Pan & Crop tool for the event as you have in your image.
    c) click on the "mask" check box bottom left
    d) select the Ellipse Mask tool - this is the fourth icon up along the left hand side of the Pan & Crop window.
    e) drag a circle around the wheel in the main part of the screen. Hold down the shift key whist dragging to maintain a circle. You can move and resize after letting go.
    f) to check you have isolated the wheel, temprarily solo the track (or mute the track below)

2 Make it spin
    a) with the "wheel" event on the upper track selected keep the Pan & Crop window open
    b) Click on the "Position" track near the bottom (the "F" dotted line should appear as per your image above)
    c) move your cursor somewhere forward on the Pan & Crop timeline (eg move to 5 seconds)
    d) move your cursor to somewhere over the circle that surrounds the "F" - it should change to a circular arrow.
    e) click and drag to rotate the image the desired number of times

As an alternative to c-e above, type the number of degrees you want to rotate in the "Angle" parameter under "Rotation" (for example to rotate twice in a clockwise direction, type -720 [yes, I would have expected that to be positive rather than negative, too!])

3) Accelleration.
    This is more tricky. For a simple acceleration over a small number of rotations, right click on the keyfram diamond at the start of teh "Position" line and select "Smooth". This means that the movement (in this case rotation) from the first keyframe to the second will beging slowly and speed up. For a more pronounced effect you will need to use several keyframes, but I suspect this might take a bit of effort to get smooth.

You are lucky in that your wheel has many axes of rotational symmetry, so you may well get away with not having to rotate very much, but let the eye/brain imaginne the thing is ritating.

A different, but similar method to the above wold be instead of using rotation in Pan and Crop to use Rotation in Track Motion. I'll leave you to igure that out, but ensure you use rotation rather than orientation as the latter might not have the results you expect.
    Tim

It actually worked. Thank you! Getting it to smoothly accelerate is quite tough, but I think I can figure that one out.

Blog Entries

Glad you got it going and to have been of assistance.
    Tim

Outstanding assistance from Tim S again .
    And congratulations on his upcoming 10,000th post.
    Looking forward to the next 10K.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Outstanding assistance from Tim S again .
    And congratulations on his upcoming 10,000th post.
    Looking forward to the next 10K.
    Thanks vkmast (that's one more towards the count )
    Tim