Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new reel

Default new reel

I feel like I haven't done a showreel for a long time and this year I have shot a ridiculous amount I've been a bit lost where to begin :/ I've tried to whittle it down to some of my fave projects or programs rather than ram in everything, am hoping it works! Trying to show off my range and ability as a tv camera op.
    Let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/S8MaNA2y5N8
    Last edited by fuzzymuffin; 01-11-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Blog Entries

As it's a professional showreel I'll give my amateur take.

Music choice was good - typical of the sort of "whats coming this season on BBC" type music - if a tad repetitive.
    One or two shots combined a very wide angle lens with a pan or tilt which gave me an uneasy feeling (eg the tilt at 15sec, bazasr at 28sec). I realise this is common with all the GoPro etc footage on the internet, but do you want to be associated with that?

I didn't like the cut at 0:40. Having cut after the ride had left the frame it left us expecting more. Better to cut on movement, just before it leaves the frame.

Some of the live audio is off. it appears to be panned one mic hard left and the other hard right. This is noticeable in the two shot at 1:50 and in the following shot (1:51) it's even worse as the woman speaking is in the left of teh shot and the voice is heard in the right channel.

I wasn't keen on the lemur(?) shot at 2:03 as it's face was mostly out of the frame it felt cropped too tightly.

The later shots of the musicians were considerably softer (I suspect standard def) and whilst I can understand you want to include the type of content, I think they detract from the quality of the video.

But 90% is fine
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As it's a professional showreel I'll give my amateur take.

Music choice was good - typical of the sort of "whats coming this season on BBC" type music - if a tad repetitive.
    One or two shots combined a very wide angle lens with a pan or tilt which gave me an uneasy feeling (eg the tilt at 15sec, bazasr at 28sec). I realise this is common with all the GoPro etc footage on the internet, but do you want to be associated with that?

I didn't like the cut at 0:40. Having cut after the ride had left the frame it left us expecting more. Better to cut on movement, just before it leaves the frame.

Some of the live audio is off. it appears to be panned one mic hard left and the other hard right. This is noticeable in the two shot at 1:50 and in the following shot (1:51) it's even worse as the woman speaking is in the left of teh shot and the voice is heard in the right channel.

I wasn't keen on the lemur(?) shot at 2:03 as it's face was mostly out of the frame it felt cropped too tightly.

The later shots of the musicians were considerably softer (I suspect standard def) and whilst I can understand you want to include the type of content, I think they detract from the quality of the video.

But 90% is fine
    Thanks Tim
    lots of good points, hoping to work on it some more over the weekend. Totally missed the audio issue, obviously didn't have my headphones on :p oops!
    yes - lemur.That guy took me by suprise with his gymnastic skills, when I reframed he decided to stop. typical, but soooooo fluffy!!

yes standard def on the music, but the same as some footage much earlier in the reel which is interesting.. A couple of people have suggested loosing that content it all together. I've worked on enough multicam music stuff to create a separate reel, not sure if thats the way to go though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    yes - lemur.That guy took me by suprise with his gymnastic skills, when I reframed he decided to stop. typical, but soooooo fluffy!!
    Never work with children or ....
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Never work with children or ....
    Presenters?

6. Default

I feel like I haven't done a showreel for a long time and this year I have shot a ridiculous amount I've been a bit lost where to begin :/ I've tried to whittle it down to some of my fave projects or programs rather than ram in everything, am hoping it works! Trying to show off my range and ability as a tv camera op.
    Let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/47xvDJlDNMY
    You've got some great shots in there! I think it definitely shows your range. My only criticisms are that the reel felt a little long and that it isn't really cut to the beat of the music. Now, I know cuts on every downbeat aren't necessarily a requirement but there's a spot around the 1:15-1:20 mark where a few of your cuts land just after the beat, which made the piece feel a little off rhythm. I think you'd be surprised how much shorter your reel would be if it were cut to your music. It could just be my personal taste but I think that would make your Showreel a bit more energetic and grabbing. All in all, great work though!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Thanks Michael
    Hoping to tighten it all up this weekend.
    I've just shot a shedload more stuff so there could be bigger changes.. this could go on forever!

8. Default

Thanks Michael
    Hoping to tighten it all up this weekend.
    I've just shot a shedload more stuff so there could be bigger changes.. this could go on forever!
    True, but at least they're fun to do.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

The opening scene is fantastic but goes on a little too long ..i guess the important thing in this showreel is the camera work, framing, interesting angles ...etc etc... check the horizon in the fishing scene at .23 and again at .34.

i dont think the image quality was that great in lots of parts especially the low light stuff .... volleyball scene at at .31 seconds and circus performers from .39 , have you run a noise filter over them ? i noticed some blown highlights in one or two places too .... as a tv camera operator wouldn't you be expected to know your camera well enough to compensate for the low light ?

i actually thought the music performance clips were the most professional looking out of the entire reel.
    Last edited by enc; 01-10-2016 at 03:19 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Finished, thanks for all the help guys.

Enc, most of those blow outs are detail lost in the compression work flow the station I work for use, same with the low light, except for the volley ball - shot on an iphone, there are obvious limitations there.
    Do I need to get my handbag out?

https://youtu.be/YDynhQ-h0s8
    Last edited by fuzzymuffin; 01-10-2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Link changed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast