Thread: Writing blu-ray discs DVDA

1. Default Writing blu-ray discs DVDA

I am having trouble writing a blu-ray disc in Sony DVDA. I have done this several times before but but now I have a problem. I keep getting a message --Please insert a writable disc-- the writer is ok because it works using Cyberlink Power2Go Can anyone offer any advice please. I am wondering if it another attempt by Microsoft to make my PC useless, I understand there download updates can have this sort of effect e.g I can't get administrator rights to install some software.

Many thanks, Roy

Blog Entries

I'm afraid I can't offer anything other than my own experience, Roy. I'm running DVDA version 6 (Latest update) on Windows 10 Pro (all latest updates applied) without issue.
    I have, however, had several instances when I've (DVDA has?) somehow had a hiccup and a new blank disc has become unwritable.
    I *think* you can just create the iso file in DVDA and then use something else (the free imgburn utility, for example, if you don't have Nero/Ashampoo etc etc) to burn the actual BD. I use this method anyway when producing multiple copies as I have found the actual burning within DVDA is slower by several factors.
    Tim

Have you tried toggling the "Use legacy disc drivers" option in Options > Preferences > Burning. This option is in DVD A Pro 5.2 and 6, also in the later builds of DVD A Studio 5.
    Early builds of DVD A Studio 5 only have the "Skip drive database" toggle to test in Prefs. > General.
    You'll find the build # in Help > About...> General.

Prepare the .iso in DVD A and use e.g. ImgBurn to burn is what many of us do anyway though.
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-01-2016 at 03:32 PM.

4. Default

Thanks vkmast, I'm going to try the iso method it seems that's the way to go, what would I do without this forum?

Thanks again, Roy

5. Default

Well I'm having trouble now, can't seem to burn the video from the iso file, it just burns the iso file and not a usable video format, so want to save to a hard drive which I will leave attached to the tv. Is it possible to save as an MP4 from DVDA or Vegas?

Thanks again for the help

Blog Entries

Roy,

Is it possible you are simply copying the iso file to a BluRay Disc? You need to burn it using the free imgburn software or other software (in ImgBurn the option is "Write Image File to Disc" and NOT "Write Files/Folders to disc").
    If you are then could you tell us what steps you are taking to create the iso in the first place?

Most definitely you can save as an MP4 from Vegas.

Go to File | Render As
    Choose the MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4,*.avc) option
    Select a suitable template ...

Here it gets a bit tricky because the default emplates tend to assume you've filmed in 24P or 30/60fps and I guess you're in the UK and filmed at 25 or 50fps.

I have created my own template for HD 1080 Pwhich is suitable for streaming over the internet or TV. I have a higher bitrate version for keeping as a "master".

If you want to try my settings:

Select the Internet HD 1080P template
    Change frame rate from "29.97 (NTSC)" to "25.000 (PAL)"

This may be all you need to do. I also changed the settings under Variable bit rate to a Maximum of 16,000,000 and and average of 8,000,000, but I can't remember why (it'll be either because I needed smaller file sizes or because I read somewhere that it was a good thing to do in terms of YouTube's recompression). My high bitrate version has 24,000,000 as the max and 20,000,000 as the average.

Before proceeding, go back up to the box at the top labelled Template and change the value from "Internet HD 1080p" to something more appropriate (eg "1080/25P 16Mbps) and click the floppy disk icon to save your new template.

Go ahead and render. Copy the MP4 to your external hard drive and give it a go.

EDIT: I'm fully expecting people here to come on and question my settings, offering their own settings which may well be better. All i know is these settings give me adequate quality.
    Tim

Roy, you got me to test the DVD A (Studio 5) prepared .iso to ImgBurn workflow and I can tell you that what TimS tells above in his first sentences still works.
    If you managed to prepare the .iso, you might even be able to right-click that iso in its folder and tell the ImgBurn app to open it. It should then be ready for you to proceed there. You should see that Mode is Write and File Sys is UDF (2.50). Press "Write", lower left corner.
    It's too late to read the rest of Tim's post, but I'm sure it's OK as always. (It is, AFAIK)
    Last edited by vkmast; 01-04-2016 at 09:59 AM.