Thread: Buying a home editing setup

Default Buying a home editing setup

Hello everyone,

Hope you're well.

I'm planning to buy myself a desktop computer with monitor - unbelievable, I know - and speakers/reference monitors. This will be for video and audio editing (I currently use Adobe Premiere Pro/Creative Cloud). My budget is 1000, but I can stretch to 1200 if I need to. What would people say are my best options in the UK?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Happy New Year,

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

My immediate reaction is save a bit more!
    Scan's basic video system ( ) will be fine for editing HD, but at 921 inc VAT that doesn't leave you much for monitor/speakers.
    The Scan system is a i5 6600 (overcloced to 4.4GHz) with 8GB RAM. I certainly wouldn't recommend anything less for video editing. You probably can edit 4K with this but it will probably be a frustrating experience.
    Video cards is a and a GTX750Ti. - it very much depends on how your NLE uses the GPU as to how crucial/what model is best (Vegas, for example, works best with current AMD cards now as only older versions of CUDA are supported).

I'd strongly recommend 2 monitors, 22-24" or maybe a 27" monitor. Don't cut corners on these. You spend ALL your time editing looking at monitors and (unless you have a separate TV hooked in) are your main reference for colour, so you want something that has a good colour balance and contrast across the whole of the screen. you'll probably want to invest in a calibration device as well. What's more your monitor is likely to outlast several computers/rebuilds.

One advantage of something like the Scan system is it is built from standard components (unlike, say Dell or HP systems). this means you could use it for a couple of years then replace motherboard/CPU/Ram Cooler only (and/or Video card).