Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.

Default Need Advice: Not credited in the final project.

Hi,

I'm in a tough position. I'm an editor with a few years of experience in the field and I am in unfamiliar waters at the moment.

I've learned the hard way to draw contracts for any sort of job I do. I took a job to edit a music video for a friend, an artist without a written contract. However, being an easy and trusting guy, I accepted the artist's word saying he'll pay my compensation after the video is released since we started on good grounds and he's known me for a few years and we've done some work together before.

I spent 70+ hours on the project and knowing the artist as "a friend", I handed the final video to him to take it to a lab for color correction I didn't hesitate to oblige. However, I just saw the video online today and found out that I'm not credited at all. Instead, he credited himself as the director and the editor.

The money is of an less importance. What hurts the most is not being acknowledged for all the hard work I've put in on a discount rate for a hopeful artist who's on the budget to make a break in the music video scene.

The video is on YouTube and is sent to be played on a few TV stations. I'm here asking for any advice from you guys cause I'm in a situation I have never been put into.

Blog Entries

Always make sure that you have a written agreement. It doesn't have to be a formal contract, a simple letter or e-mail will do.

You've learnt the hard way. This is one you'll have to put down to experience. Remember what the producer Samuel Goldwyn said:

"A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on."

The bottom line is there is a lot you can do, a lot you can try, none of which will work or make any difference. Don't waste even more time and effort.

3. Default

If it's already on YouTube why don't u give us the link and we can see for ourselves - at least we can make sure not to buy any music from the artist in question.

4. Default

How diligent is he about copyrights? It would be amusing if someone came along and got the copyright for this song.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    How diligent is he about copyrights? It would be amusing if someone came along and got the copyright for this song.
    Naughty, naughty ... I like were you're coming from

Ramin85. What did he say when you challenged him about this? You haev challenged him about this, haven't you?
    Tim

6. Default

Write letters to any stations you know have broadcast your work. Explain the situation in a calm and polite way. They may put the screws to the guy to protect their own reputations.

I had another amusing idea. What if someone replaced the audio with some really bad, out of tune, out of time music? He might not ever get work as a musician again. That sure would be sad for the guy, wouldn't it? I'm sure all of us here hope that never happens.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61RtfAqxCbg

One of the biggest lessons I've learnt in this industry is who not to trust, which people are the shitty payers, blaggers and all out liars. The most you can realistically do 99% of the time is simply warn anyone you do trust and any newcomers to the industry you want to see do well, of your experience.
    Keep up with networking and when a new client comes along, check to see if any of your peers have dealt with them before.

Blog Entries

BECTU has a very useful "ask first" facility where you can check-out unreliable employers. It's well worth joining, for the insurance and legal assistance alone.

Personally I have now resorted to contacting previous co-workers before accepting anything from a new source. A sad state of affairs but there are so many bullshitters and liers around. A couple of 'phone calls is well worth the effort.

Oh, and don't believe anything you read on the internet, I've fallen for a flashy webpage only to find that it's some kid still living with his parents and working from his bedroom. In the same way an IMDB resume is not worth a wan...um... not worth reading. A short in a second rate festival will get you an IMDB page as a "producer" and then you can add anything you want. Most students who have never even worked on a proper professional production have an IMDB presence which would make you believe they are the next Spielberg.

I always look at the credits from previous productions, find out who has worked on them and give them a ring. Also check, check and question. I recently had an enquiry from a "Bafta winning producer" only to find that his only connection with a bafta was that, as a student, he worked as a runner for a couple of weeks on a bafta nominated production. Believe nobody. This really is a shitty industry nowadays.

I still get caught out, You're far from alone in being shafted. For the future though, remember the old adage "credits are vanity, payment is sanity".

What you could do is send your producer an invoice for a fee in lieu of a mention in the credit. He won't pay it but it might give him a few sleepless nights worrying about it.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ramin85 View Post
    Hi,

I'm in a tough position. I'm an editor with a few years of experience in the field and I am in unfamiliar waters at the moment.

I've learned the hard way to draw contracts for any sort of job I do. I took a job to edit a music video for a friend, an artist without a written contract. However, being an easy and trusting guy, I accepted the artist's word saying he'll pay my compensation after the video is released since we started on good grounds and he's known me for a few years and we've done some work together before.

I spent 70+ hours on the project and knowing the artist as "a friend", I handed the final video to him to take it to a lab for color correction I didn't hesitate to oblige. However, I just saw the video online today and found out that I'm not credited at all. Instead, he credited himself as the director and the editor.

The money is of an less importance. What hurts the most is not being acknowledged for all the hard work I've put in on a discount rate for a hopeful artist who's on the budget to make a break in the music video scene.

The video is on YouTube and is sent to be played on a few TV stations. I'm here asking for any advice from you guys cause I'm in a situation I have never been put into.
    That's a definitely a raw deal and I can honestly say I feel your pain as I went through a similar situation with a so-called "friend" once before myself. As much as it sucks, the only thing you can do is chalk it up to a learning experience and know that at some point down the road, karma will come back to bite your friend in the caboose. He'll probably use your work to shop around and land a few jobs here and there but eventually, and it will happen, some one will wise up and wonder why the work they hired him for is of such lower quality than what landed him the gig in the first place. And he'll stop getting jobs then. You can't fool people forever.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

If you don't feel comfortable with working out contracts you could work on y heavily watermarked version until all wishes are fulfilled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast