Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-technical, client relationship advice needed

1. Default Non-technical, client relationship advice needed

I'm editing a music video for a band (about 100 hours so far at $0/hr) and feel like I need some tips from the professional community in regards to the actual collaboration part. I think it's safe to say the video won't be sweeping the oscars, but I'm looking for lessons from this experience. Sorry if this gets too whiney, but the following issues are quite frustrating to me and I was wondering if you guys/girls can relate:
    1- my friend is in the band, makes saying "no" a little awkward
    2 -they shot the footage themselves, but its very amateur (even to me). Lots of shaky cam, poor blocking, mostly one take, etc etc etc
    3- all the footage is green screen, making all backgrounds and animations to be done post production and...
    4- they expected it to be done really fast despite all the stabilization, effects and animations that had to be done in post production
    5- despite poor quality of their footage, the lead members consider themselves experts because they took a video class
    6- band insists on putting end credits at the end of the video. Not necessarily a no-no, but it seems like they really just want their names on the screen ("Directed by Dave, Produced by Dave, Written and conceived by Dave, etc)
    7- feedback is ambiguous ("more stuff please") and delayed: first rough cut meets their approval. Two weeks later, they want the exact same thing completely changed.
    So any thoughts? Anything helps, even critiques of me!
    Thanks in advance...
    Brad

2. Default

Charge an appropriate hourly rate.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Charge an appropriate hourly rate.
    Definitely sound advice there. I'm doing this free because he's my friend, but also primarily because I'm an amateur. I edit my own videos for youtube and have a little experience in the field, but I'm no professional at all. I love video editing, but I have so much to learn.

4. Default

Make it a complete shambles

pick your nose while showing them the finished product

act very hurt when they tell you it isn't great

they won't waste your time again

i have to wonder if trhis post is for real ... IF it is, what kind of friend is this guy ... with all those constraints id say your more his bitch than his friend ! ... laugh him out the door
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Just make it look like you want it to look like. I really can't do good looking video that I don't like. Every video I have made I think those are fun and cool and I like to edit those. Same applies to music. The band thinks that their music is awesome so that's why they make it and want to share it.

7. Default

don't laugh but that sounds pretty good to me, at least to help preserve my sanity. I could do like Woody Allen in Crimes and Misdemeanors and take all the ugly outtakes and make a separate piece.

8. Default

fortunately/unfortunately it's for real, and I actually do appreciate any feedback. I can't really tell if I'm being a big baby for even thinking about these things or if I have some legitimate beefs. And believe me, I get the feeling that I am his bitch lol. It's weird though because I was given carte blanche from the beginning, but after it was completed, then the nitpicking started. At first they were very humble and honest about the state of the footage, and now they expect "more awesome". It feels like I should get credit for basically the whole video, but I'm probably getting carried away.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Toeh View Post
    Just make it look like you want it to look like. I really can't do good looking video that I don't like. Every video I have made I think those are fun and cool and I like to edit those. Same applies to music. The band thinks that their music is awesome so that's why they make it and want to share it.
    thanks for the reply Toeh. In some ways, I just want to be flexible and give them what they want. But also deep down I just want to do it all my way. Would you suggest making one version that makes them happy and then one version for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Hayman View Post
    thanks for the reply Toeh. In some ways, I just want to be flexible and give them what they want. But also deep down I just want to do it all my way. Would you suggest making one version that makes them happy and then one version for me?
    When working for client I think you should make what client wants but the client have chose you for the work because client likes your work and have seen your idiom.

This is how I think. Don't take too serious because I'm just making my own videos to my YouTube channel for fun.

I've only worked for client with my copters and I've had almost free hands to make cool shots for he's movie. Just been told what is target for the shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast