Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a camerman

Default looking for a camerman

Hi, I have an exciting project that is in its first stages, I am needing a cameraman who would want to be part of the team and have an active role and also benefit from the success. I am based in west Yorkshire and would want the person to be either local to me or have transport. This is a genuine offer for someone who wants to help build and be a part of this project.

Blog Entries

So that's twice you've posted this now. You'll need to give away a bit more if you want any bites. It's all very well saying you've got an exciting project, but we've only your word and opinion on that.
    I could say I've got an exciting project in mind that I need some attractive and naked young ladies for, but without any more info, I doubt many would be forthcoming
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    So that's twice you've posted this now. You'll need to give away a bit more if you want any bites. It's all very well saying you've got an exciting project, but we've only your word and opinion on that.
    I could say I've got an exciting project in mind that I need some attractive and naked young ladies for, but without any more info, I doubt many would be forthcoming
    i like your project Tim - count me in

Blog Entries

Hey Tim, count me in too! If I can't make the shoot, I'll do the casting!

I've got an exciting project in mind that I need some attractive and naked young ladies for, b
    Count me in Tim
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

for those who want more info it's available on request. Although in all fairness I guess a little bit more info won't hurt. At this stage it's a pilot show, involving research and data. We have the team in place just need a a couple more people including a cameraman. For those who are interested please message me for details and we can meet up and talk it through.

7. Default

You haven't provided any details

Maybe you aren't sure what to provide

Here is a start:

- the working name of the film and the concept
    - how many crispy samolias you are going to start forking out on day one (hourly rate)
    - links to stuff your team has done before
    - phone numbers of the young ladies Tim promised to introduce us to

If this describes your situation:

"I have a really really great idea but I don't have any money to produce it but it's really really great so please please help me"

... Then you need to describe the really really great idea in a way that will motivate tired old naysayers like us

Blog Entries

In case you didn't see this as a "sticky"... It's been slightly "tweaked" for this thread.

Recently there have been a number of requests for videomakers to help out on projects. A lot of these requests are based on the belief that videographers sit at home, twiddling their thumbs, too dim to think of their own projects. As a result, we jump for joy at the chance to work for nothing.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

There are dozens of "producers" who come up with ideas for a youtube series, internet tv or suchlike. These are often people who don't want to risk maxing out their credit cards, getting a bank loan or borrowing off their friends in order to pay for crew. However they are quite happy to get cameramen, recordists and others to spend time on a project which, statistics show, won't make money. At the moment less than one percent of internet start-ups make enough money to enable one person to live from their earnings. Even less make enough to pay anyone else. (This is based on the hours invested compared with working flipping burgers, you"ll earn more per hour at McBurger than running a website).
    Even more interesting, according to my union, whereas the percentage of producers making a profit from their initial project is now running at less than 5%, a couple of years ago it was at 10%, see the trend? The number of crew earning from such projects is even less than a fraction of one percent.

This is a bitch of an industry.

In other words, a camera/sound/editor working on a "potential" money-maker has less than a one in a hundred chance of getting any money from the producer. I'm not saying that novice producers are bastards, on the contrary, I suspect that most of them honestly believe that their project will make money. Unfortunately, that isn't the case and even if some cash does arrive, we all know that the producer will pay off his debts before sharing the rest.

Let's have a reality check. A freebie video on a CV is a waste of time when it comes to working in "the industry" (God, how I hate that term), it comes in the "hobbies" category and, although it shows that you have an interest in videomaking, it will not help your career in any way. Nowadays an "IMDB credit" is not worth anything either. If the only place where a film/video/series has been shown is at a festival or on youtube, it screams "rubbish" to the commercial companies. There are a hundred or so producers making good money on Youtube, there are tens of millions who aren't.

Having ideas is easy. I have at least one money-making idea a week. It's putting the ideas into practice which is the hard part especially as the world doesn't tend to act the way you think when it comes to paying for internet content.

So, if you come on this forum looking for people to work for you, for nothing. Seduce us. Give us a clue about your project. Tell us your track record. Have you learnt from mistakes you've made or is this your first project? Show us your website. If you're serious you will have some sort of internet presence to show potential investors. If you can't be bothered to bung up some sort of homepage to show your crew, why should we invest time and money in someone who can't even get that together?

Oh, and don't give the "I can't tell you in case someone nicks my idea" bullshit. Sorry, nice try, doesn't wash.

In the same way, be honest and upfront. If you are an amateur, with no experience who is looking for people to work on an idea which might work, then say that. You will find that most of the regulars here understand what it's like starting out and will gladly offer help and advice. If you pretend to be a "producer" without the skills to back up your claim, the regulars will suss you out and rip you to shreds.

So, to sum up. We're not against working for nothing per-se but we are against being exploited and treated as mugs.

Blog Entries

Well put, Rob. Very balanced.

Just as an aside, I'm afraid that on my project, after filling all the positions I've had to pull the plug
    Tim

10. Default

Well put, Rob. Very balanced.

Just as an aside, I'm afraid that on my project, after filling all the positions I've had to pull the plug
    Good one! I hadn't heard "pull the plug" before - in Canada we say "spank the monkey" - I bet you "pulled the plug" a few times eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast