Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Spiderboy by me (first post, first video I'm taking the risk!)

Default Flying Spiderboy by me (first post, first video I'm taking the risk!)

Hi!

Ok I'm new here. Looks like I might start posting at this forum from now on. The slogan "Filming and editing for fun" is just what I say to everyone. I just like really much film with my modified chinese steadicam and my quadcopter. But enough for that.

If I read right this place isn't for amateur videos. I'l take risk and post my project here and take all the critical assessment and might learn much from the professionals!

This is really made with zero budget and just for fun with my 5 year old godson. There is few shots I would like to film again but we just can't do those again because I don't have the BMPCC anymore because it wasn't my own camera.

Video shows more than I can write. Enjoy and give constructive feedback!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Toeh View Post
    Hi!

Ok I'm new here. Looks like I might start posting at this forum from now on. The slogan "Filming and editing for fun" is just what I say to everyone. I just like really much film with my modified chinese steadicam and my quadcopter. But enough for that.

If I read right this place isn't for amateur videos. I'l take risk and post my project here and take all the critical assessment and might learn much from the professionals!

This is really made with zero budget and just for fun with my 5 year old godson. There is few shots I would like to film again but we just can't do those again because I don't have the BMPCC anymore because it wasn't my own camera.

Video shows more than I can write. Enjoy and give constructive feedback!

Welcome, Toeh! I'm still relatively new here myself but everyone I've encountered on this forum is extremely helpful and constructively critical. We're all still learning!

With that being said, your video reminds me of Corridor Digital's GoPro Superman from a while back. Somewhere on their channel is a pretty detailed tutorial for matching color between foreground elements and greenscreen elements. That's one thing that stood out about your video to me is how much they didn't match. The other thing, I'd ask is what was your shutter angle set to on the BMPCC? In a few of the earlier shots (before he takes off) it seemed like your shutter angle was set too high. Either that or you speed up footage... With the BMPCC, it's usually best to keep it around 172-180 or the motion starts to look strange. At least for me.

Overall, still a cool video. Loved the aerial shots! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Redden View Post
    Welcome, Toeh! I'm still relatively new here myself but everyone I've encountered on this forum is extremely helpful and constructively critical. We're all still learning!

With that being said, your video reminds me of Corridor Digital's GoPro Superman from a while back. Somewhere on their channel is a pretty detailed tutorial for matching color between foreground elements and greenscreen elements. That's one thing that stood out about your video to me is how much they didn't match. The other thing, I'd ask is what was your shutter angle set to on the BMPCC? In a few of the earlier shots (before he takes off) it seemed like your shutter angle was set too high. Either that or you speed up footage... With the BMPCC, it's usually best to keep it around 172-180 or the motion starts to look strange. At least for me.

Overall, still a cool video. Loved the aerial shots! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
    Thank you!

I really much like Corridor Digital's work and I have also seen their GoPro Superman video and that truly is amazing. Colors didn't match in my clip that good you are right but thanks for the tip I should check that tutorial video! BMPCC shutter angle was 180 but my bad I forget to say that there's very much shot's with my GoPro Hero 3+ and Hero 4 because my quadcopter can carry those. Take off clip was filmed with Hero 3+ Black at GoPro chest mount and Hero 4 at quadcopter. And the cloud clips are from plane with Hero 3 attached to planes wing. So there was 4 cameras to mix together and not enough skills and knowledge but I still wanted to do this and tried my best. This video was really teaching experience. I did few bad mistakes when filming with green screen and GoPro and those few clips with BMPCC but next time I can fix those mistakes and do new ones! I'm already planning next projects. Thanks for you feedback!

E: 4 cameras not 3.
    Last edited by Toeh; 12-14-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Blog Entries

If I read right this place isn't for amateur videos.
    The either you aren't reading right or it's not expressed clearly enough. This is precisely the place for amateur videos - so long as you are after constructive criticism. This forum is fundamentally for people who make videos for the love of it. We are lucky enough to receive contributions from professionals because - guess what? - they also sometimes make videos just for the love of it.
    What we would ask is that you give as good as you get - comment on a few other people's videos so it's a two way street. It doesn't matter how experienced you are at making videos - you've a lifetime's experience of watching film & TV so your opinions are as valid as anyone's.

Michael has already got you off o a good start with a few pointers (I avoid this issue with my own green screen work by setting my characters against a deliberately cartoony background - a whole different level of disbilief

I liked the use of radial blurs to move between scenes. Some were more effective than others but I particularly liked the one (not so much between scenes) at 1:42, I also liked the switch to the following shot, neatly overcoming the problem of transitioning between flying and standing.

If I had to criticise (and why would I - after all this is great fun piece for your godson) my comments would be as follows:

1. I would have liked to have seen his face at the beginning and possibly again at the end - putting on and taking off the mask. This would add a bit more of a human element - it's difficult to feel empathy with a character that is only ever masked.
    2. The flying sequences were too long. I know you were playing with your drone, but one shot was much like another. If you'd had shots from around the world (Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower etc) this may have justified the length of this sequence, but as it is it slowed the film down.
    3. I found the sped up shots far too shaky and distracting (I was particularly surprised as you'd mentioned using a stabilizer?)
    4. There is a problem with the whole pretext of the plot. If you are going to post the letter, why fly miles to a post box? If you can fly, why not deliver to the North Pole/Lapland?

I found teh choice of music refreshingly unusual yet at the same time perfectly suitable. Nice one!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The either you aren't reading right or it's not expressed clearly enough. This is precisely the place for amateur videos - so long as you are after constructive criticism. This forum is fundamentally for people who make videos for the love of it. We are lucky enough to receive contributions from professionals because - guess what? - they also sometimes make videos just for the love of it.
    What we would ask is that you give as good as you get - comment on a few other people's videos so it's a two way street. It doesn't matter how experienced you are at making videos - you've a lifetime's experience of watching film & TV so your opinions are as valid as anyone's.

Michael has already got you off o a good start with a few pointers (I avoid this issue with my own green screen work by setting my characters against a deliberately cartoony background - a whole different level of disbilief

I liked the use of radial blurs to move between scenes. Some were more effective than others but I particularly liked the one (not so much between scenes) at 1:42, I also liked the switch to the following shot, neatly overcoming the problem of transitioning between flying and standing.

If I had to criticise (and why would I - after all this is great fun piece for your godson) my comments would be as follows:

1. I would have liked to have seen his face at the beginning and possibly again at the end - putting on and taking off the mask. This would add a bit more of a human element - it's difficult to feel empathy with a character that is only ever masked.
    2. The flying sequences were too long. I know you were playing with your drone, but one shot was much like another. If you'd had shots from around the world (Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower etc) this may have justified the length of this sequence, but as it is it slowed the film down.
    3. I found the sped up shots far too shaky and distracting (I was particularly surprised as you'd mentioned using a stabilizer?)
    4. There is a problem with the whole pretext of the plot. If you are going to post the letter, why fly miles to a post box? If you can fly, why not deliver to the North Pole/Lapland?

I found teh choice of music refreshingly unusual yet at the same time perfectly suitable. Nice one!
    I might misunderstand the idea of this place then. Good that it isn't so serious business then!

1. True. It's just because he's so young and doesn't know the "dangers" of internet I didn't want he's face to go online. Of course he would say that "no problem I can do that" but he might regret it when he's a bit older. That's why I wanted to keep this anonymous.

2. Yes I like to fly all my rc stuff. There really wasn't very much interesting environment. I liked a lot the over clouds clips but the other ones really are just what we do have here. Pity that we didn't have snow yet.

3. Can you point more closely which shots you mean? You might mean the most shaky ones that are filmed with GoPro chest mount and yeah those are maybe a bit too shaky. I wanted to make them look like fast and shaky running but maybe too much. And the mount was made for adults so it was little loose with 5 year old small man.

4. True. But there where we live the closest mail box where you can send letters can be up to 10-15kilometers away. That makes something like 6-10 miles..? But ok maybe this flight was a bit longer. And Santa lives over 300miles away from here so it's a long trip for 5 year old to fly but yeah sure that is good point. I should have hire a Santa actor if there would be some budget.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Blog Entries

I might misunderstand the idea of this place then. Good that it isn't so serious business then!
    But this is our hobby! How dare you suggest it's not serious
    1. True. It's just because he's so young and doesn't know the "dangers" of internet I didn't want he's face to go online. Of course he would say that "no problem I can do that" but he might regret it when he's a bit older. That's why I wanted to keep this anonymous.
    I regularly film my daughter and friends in films and put them on the internet. However, I only include first names. It's true, people could go through all the first names and search on each individually with my surname and that would get them my daughter. But anyone prepared to do that would know I have a daughter anyway.

3. Can you point more closely which shots you mean? You might mean the most shaky ones that are filmed with GoPro chest mount and yeah those are maybe a bit too shaky. I wanted to make them look like fast and shaky running but maybe too much. And the mount was made for adults so it was little loose with 5 year old small man.
    0:25, 1:52 the shot at 1:58 where it was more real time wasn't so bad. It may be a generation thing but the internet is so full of bad sped up first person footage, I immediately turn off.

4. True. But there where we live the closest mail box where you can send letters can be up to 10-15kilometers away.
    Fair comment. Living where I do, it's easy to forget that there are many places rather more cut off from communications than I am.

Anyway, welcome again. Looks like you're a perfect match for this forum where you're happy to have a full and frank exchange of ideas without taking anything too personally.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    But this is our hobby! How dare you suggest it's not serious
    Sometime it feels like it's lifestyle for me.

0:25, 1:52 the shot at 1:58 where it was more real time wasn't so bad. It may be a generation thing but the internet is so full of bad sped up first person footage, I immediately turn off.
    Ooook I checked those and also checked from the open project in FCPX. Those are 1:1 without sped up. But with loose chest mount and GoPro filming 30fps and really hard up down bouncing and shaking it really looks a bit bad and like it's sped up actually. But it's done now and I really didn't have many changes to take shots again with 5 year old and of course I'm amateur and just failed with few shots. But my godson thinks that this was awesome.

Blog Entries

I'm amateur and just failed with few shots.
    But if every shot was perfect, you'd have have nothing to learn and how dull would that be?
    But my godson thinks that this was awesome.
    Rule 1: Check it meets with the target audience's criteria. Job done!
    Tim

So true.

10. Default

Cool video! Well done. I liked the transitions for the take off and landing, it is relatively believable. The only thing i'll point out is that the indoor shots are very dark. But, good work...!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast