I'm a newb in a bit of a pickle. My friend, lets call him Tom, and I have been commissioned by a company in Europe to do a series of short films. Tom is registered as a sole trader in the UK, but due to visa restrictions I can't work outside of the UK and therefore can't be a paid employee for this job.

I am happy to work unpaid for this job, but the problem is public liability insurance, as I will not be covered by Tom's insurance, and I will not be covered by mine as I am working outside of the UK.

Has anyone had any situations where they've taken unpaid workers on to film sets/shoots without public liability insurance?

I'd love to hear from some of you regarding your experiences.