Thread: "Everyman" a slowly cross fading series of montaged figurative images

Default "Everyman" a slowly cross fading series of montaged figurative images

Hello all,

I bought Cyberlink PD14 Ultra a couple of weeks ago after trying as many free programs as I could find and doing the same with lots of the ones that ask for money, to be honest few were better than WMM 6.0 and some were a lot worse. I didn't like the way some of them wanted a lot more money for not very much in the way of 'upgrades. I must admit I didn't look at the very expensive ones because my videos are quite simple.

After many years of single image photography I decided to teach myself digital art montage. I'd prevaricated for thirteen years thinking it to be a mountain of expertise I couldn't possibly climb. Eventually I became so angry at my failure I put everything else to one side and plunged into it.

This led me to the before and the after of montage making, I was delighted to find some CSS code that would cross fade two images. From there I found that cross fading single images could be made into videos. Once again I had to climb another mountain and learn how to use even more software and how to make and edit sound recordings. Having started with one idea in mind I have reappeared at the other end with something which is to me entirely different and opening up a whole realm of possibilities.

I began making montages with the idea of making figurative images and started by using unrelated background images and merging them in different ways. As I progressed the idea of the anonymous 'Everyman' emerged, so I posed for the figurative images wearing a coverall body suit.

This video is made up from some of my first montages with background images taken from areas local to my home. The first one from a local quarry and the woodland above it and the last from the site of an old mine dating back to Roman times.

The sound is a combination of a recording made with the microphone placed outside our house and one made from Ray Wilson's "Weird Sound Generator" circuit which I constructed myself.

What I enjoyed most about making this and similar videos is the long crossfades they reveal my thoughts and technique as they slowly unfold.

Here's the link;
    https://youtu.be/12GgUYCIXJo

Cheers - Jem

Blog Entries

I normally dismiss this sort of thing as a load of pretentious nonsense - and I'm probably right to do so most of teh time.
    But it is clear the thought and skill that has gone into this. The images, for starters, are excellent. Then the matching of the images to give a pleasing crossfade is very well done. Finally the posing of "Everyman" in each image was thought provoking (although I have to say the costume rather drew the eye to the guy's meat and tackle in a couple of images - or perhaps that was intentional).

I haven't a clue what it was about, but I found it compelling viewing as well as very pleasing. I don't know whether you'll take that as a complement, but it's intended as one
    Tim

Hello Tim,

Many thanks for your comments very well put indeed, I wondered if I'd done something dismissive and it was with some trepidation that I posted it here.

Thanks for the 'thought and skill' that's very generous of you.

Something else that concerned me is the 'meat and tackle' aspect of the male form. We (men) are so used to looking at the smooth forms of the female body that a male one can be somewhat jarring. This was something of a personal milestone for me, should I 'smooth' it out in Ps or leave it, my conclusion was to leave it as the inevitable result of my poses rather than being deliberately intentional.

My images prior to being set in a video context have been subject to some criticism from males who think that anyone posing should be a/. female and b/. young. When I have pointed out that this view is very demeaning to women, that only they as worthless women should pose and that superior males should be the 'artist' with the camera, apologies and understanding are forthcoming (as well as comment deletions from the cowards) And fair play to you Tim for not venturing along those lines.

I do take your last sentence as a compliment and I am grateful to you, I'm especially pleased that you were able to put aside any notion of what it's about and just enjoy viewing it. I do create my images and my poses for the sheer joy of doing so.

Cheers - Jem

[edit] spaces

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JemRaid View Post
    Something else that concerned me is the 'meat and tackle' aspect of the male form. We (men) are so used to looking at the smooth forms of the female body that a male one can be somewhat jarring.
    I think it is the fact that the otherwise smooth bodysuit creases up around the genitalia that draws attention to it. Something one is less likely to get with a female. But I didn't really see the body as overtly male, more androgynous, representing mankind rather than men. Indeed, had you used a female model (or even a particularly well endowed male one) I'd probably have looked for an erotic angle which it is clear was not the intent and I think would have destroyed the work.
    Tim

Hello Tim,

Thanks for your further thoughts you have described what I was trying to achieve I'm grateful to you. I often think it's a bit like walking a tightrope.

I joined an FB group called free the pixels and looking at the stuff I saw on there, none of which I could emulate I made this very short bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sK4Te9OS1s

I'd thought about posing nude for this but the week before had been to a video show and the attendant had said to everyone coming in that there was nudity, I'd stopped to chat to her and saw that quite a number of people walked away. So I made the g string you see in this bit of video.

Cheers - Jem

I don't claim to have a clue about this sort of piece but I liked the images presented. They are in focus, and correctly exposed and pleasing to the eye. None of this wobbly out of focus stuff that is so often seen or the "take me seriously" because I've shot it in black and white on real film stuff.

Not my thing but a good job of what you set out to achieve.

Hello Blue,

Many thanks for your comments they do make me smile, especially the OOF and wobbly, I find that the amount of psychobabble is in inverse proportion to the quality of the work content and not just in videos.

I think the best reason to make anything is because it's and enjoyable experience and a double bonus if you learn some new skills on the way.

And thanks for the 'good job' I really do appreciate that.

Cheers - Jem