Thread: Elements tryout - timeline horrible, yet monitor perfect?

Default Elements tryout - timeline horrible, yet monitor perfect?

Hi,

I'm as new to editing as it gets. I experimented with Windows Movie Maker for the first time this week, and was impressed that I could play its timeline in real-time. Within minutes I was editing movies from my digicam, adding transitions, music and titles etc., and I really liked it.

So I downloaded the tryout of Premiere Elements, assuming that would be the next step up in quality and flexibility.

Although I can preview the video clips perfectly in the monitor window, when I drag them into the timeline, they're unwatchable. Frames seem to jump forwards and backwards, there's no sync to anything, and I can't use it for anything sensible.

I assume it's not my PC, as Movie Maker is fine, Elements' monitor window plays fine, and it's just the timeline which seems broken. For the record, my PC is XP Home SP2, 1GB PC3200, Athlon XP2500, 7200rpm 160GB c drive.

Is this a "feature"? Do I somehow have to give up realtime timeline playback in order to use anything more professional than Movie Maker? I'm quickly going off the whole idea.

Thanks,

Jim

Playback in the monitor window won't be perfect, but it should still have some semblance of some sort of sync. How bad is it? We talking one or two FPS?

Playback in the monitor window looks perfect.

But when I drag that same video into the timeline and try to play it, it's unusable:

Forward, backward, jumps/skips randomly back and forth.
    Repeats.
    Holds.
    Sticks.
    Gets going again.

It's totally unusuable, but only in the timeline. The monitor is perfect. I just don't get it!

What format are the files you're working with? Are they compressed with something like Divx or MPEG or anything? Ideally, you should be using Premiere with DV format or some other (as good as) lossless codec.

So far it's been MPEGs, from a variety of sources including downloaded examples and those from the video mode on a digital camera.

Regardless of the source material, what I fail to understand is why it's fine in the preview window, then suddenly unusable in the timeline. I haven't added any effects or transitions, or even edits to it.

Blog Entries

If it's not DV AVI, chances are you'll experience problems.

OK. Can you recommend something for editing digicam/compressed video? Or should I just stick with Windows Movie Maker if that works?