Thread: Canon AVI files not compatible with Adobe Premier Pro??

Default Canon AVI files not compatible with Adobe Premier Pro??

Hi there!

Getting a bit frustrated here, trying to use AVI files from my Canon digital Ixus 50 in Adobe Premier Pro. They import OK, and I can view them fine in the left hand preview window. But when I drag them onto the timeline and try to view them from there, nothing shows up in the right hand output window: it's just black. Are Canon AVIs incompatible (I can hear the sound, BTW - just no video) or am I doing something wrong? Perhaps with the Project setup dialogues.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
    xx

I took would like help with this. I got by this problem by converting them to mpg, but I'm sure there is a better way.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

If the avi file it makes is like my Canon A70, the video is in YUV format. The 4CC code in the avi is Y41P. This is supposed to be a standard video format that Windows can handle, but I don't know where it's codec loads from. It might be in ->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Windows Setup(tab)->MultiMedia->Details->Video Compression. Or it could load with DirectX, which means reloading that.

If this isn't one a PC, you'll have to do your own search.

http://avicodec.duby.info/ is where a nice avi compression identifier utility is.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Cheers for the suggestions guys, but I think I've found a workaround. It's a bit clunky but it works: it seems the AVI format that Canon uses isn't the 'DV AVI' format that Premier understands properly. So I've found a free utility (STOIK Video Converter) which does batch conversions - saves me doing them one by one - from one AVI format to the other. And Premier can import them with no probs.

Whew!!

Thanks for your help, though, and I'll have a look around for other codecs, 'cos that would be even easier!!

)

Mark
    x

Wow!!

Cheers for the advice, Crusty!! I downloaded the codec identifier utility, discovered that the Canon AVIs used the MOTION JPEG codec. Then I went and downloaded a version of it (it says 'demo' but there's no explanation of what 'demo' means - whether it'll stop working ina month, or what) and BINGO!! The Canon AVIs import straight into Premier and display in the monitor window fine (if a little jerkily - probably means I need to do a render of them to get them smooth).

But - fingers crossed - so far it looks like it's worked. I owe you a pint, Crusty!! Thanks, mate!

Mxx

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Glad to be of service. Make that a pint of Guinness, please.

Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70