Thread: 4K on the cheap...

Default 4K on the cheap...

Currently doing my film work with a Nikon D7100 but I notice that 4K footage sells better. On the other hand I do not really sell enough to be sure that I will make my money back so I want to stay on the safe side.

I recently noticed that Samsung made a very nice sounding NX500 that does Cinema 4K resolution at 24FPS. Other cameras I have considered in the past year where the Go-pro, Panasonic and Sony 4K action cam offerings and the Panasonic GH4.
    Now the Panasonic GH4 is by most people probably considered a very cheap offering but the Samsung NX500 and the action cams are about 50% cheaper.
    4K in itself is still not really mainstream though and I can imagine that there will be a lot of other budget options coming in 2016.

So if you guys have any advice, tips, thoughts that may help me decide if I should treat myself to for example an NX500 or GH4 this Christmas or hold off a little longer to see what Q1 2016 brings, that would be really appreciated.
    The cats are watching us...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    4K in itself is still not really mainstream though and I .
    What exact are you doing with the footage you shoot ?

Have you thought about all the nonsense associated with 4k?

The camera is the tip of the iceberg.

Other stuff to consider ...

PC spec to handle 4k footage
    Archive space for storage
    4k monitor for editing (not essential but useful)
    4k TV to play your nice 4k films on

All things I considered last year and decided it just wasn't worth it to me.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Mostly sell it through Pond5 as stock footage.
    I already have the PC and a 4K monitor (the monitor doesn't go to Cinema 4K but UHD is sharp enough to edit the 4K material on.
    I started with the PC because I already did some 4K animation work and photo editing is also more pleasant on a 4K monitor.
    I mostly held off the camera upgrade because I still hope that Nikon will release a DX format 4K unit so I can keep using the lenses already purchased.
    The cats are watching us...