Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you do yours?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    So I tried to download davinci resolve 12 to my "proper" machine ... i7. 16 GB RAM, nvidia gtx graphic card ... Still not up to spec ... Dam !!!
    Surprised - I'm running on a i7 2600K, 8GB RAM, GTX560 (I installed before I read the hardware requirements )
    Tim

I'm beginning to wonder if I need to update my graphics card drivers ...seems I have the same as you time nvidia gtx 560 Ti.
    Premier cc doesn't recognise it for Mercury play back ( it should)
    But previous version of premier (5.5) does. :-s
    Last edited by enc; 11-24-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Graphics card is about 3 years old and I've never updated the drivers. Have you updated yours Tim ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Graphics card is about 3 years old and I've never updated the drivers. Have you updated yours Tim ?
    All the time! I think Resolve 12 required Windows 8/10. Have you got one of thsoe?
    Tim

no, still on and staying on Windows 7.

i updated the drivers (shows how long ago it was i last checked .. none were available then) and all is well ... sort of ... Resolve isnt recognising the audio from the .MTS video files produced by my cameras. sure if i dig deep i can getr around that.

another bonus PPCC recognises the Nvidia card now ive updated the drivers

Hello all,

I'm somewhat of a newbie to all this and I use my 4/3rds camera to make images which I then turn into figurative montages in Ps and from there into videos.

I build up as I go along and keep reviewing both in the preview and by rendering what I've done so far to see it properly. As a result I often have to go back to the beginning and start all over again. As I've gone along and found what is for me better software I have to keep renewing stuff in whatever program I think is the bees knees at the time.

I tried everything that I could find that is free and didn't come across anything as good as WMM 6.0, I tried a few free trials of various Sony offerings and found them very limited and expensive.

At the weekend I found Power Director 14 and after a short trial, it's just so easy to use! I bought the Ultra version for less than 50 (on special offer at the moment) I find it very easy to use and the make your own transitions, effects and PiP tools are really great.

The renders and the options to create your own bespoke ones produce the sharpest and most detailed vids I've ever seen. It'll do 4K as well and nothing basic is witheld even in this the cheapo version all you get in the most expensive ones is more peripheral stuff.

All I need is something like the above I can do all the colour caper and close ups etc in Ps.

Really great !!

Cheers - Jem

I had trouble installing Resolve. My Graphics card isn't good enough Radeon HD 5800. :/ That'll teach me to skimp on the graphics card but at the time of building the system Vegas didn't really make use of the card so I didn't bother with what I got.

My approach to editing depends on what I'm working on, if it's my footage or not etc.

For a piece that I'm editing that I didn't shoot I have to upload the footage into my head first by viewing the clips
    Then I usually go into despair as to how I'm going to produce something with such ropey footage.
    Then go through the process of talking myself into thinking it doesn't matter how bad it looks so long as I can get the message across
    I then make a kind of mental storyboard in my head and put the clips on the time line.
    I then revue the piece and start adding cut a ways etc. to visualise the narration, interview from what is being said.
    After going into despair that I don't have a particular shot I'll speak to them who will usually come up with "I've got a photo of that somewhere in my 15 thousand or so sized achieve" [of unorganised photos].
    I then figure out a way of getting round it some how.
    Once I've got a basic edit I look at the audio dealing with the EQ, peaks etc. I usually end up manually dropping the volume of all the peaks and spikes.
    Now that I'm happy with the audio, I'll think about music, intros, titles etc. and come up with a basic idea.
    I'll then work on and change this idea many times.........until I think it looks right.
    This is now at the stage that I call a basic edit.
    So I review and tweak fitting to music, trim a clip here and there. Try to ignore the things that bud me that I can't do anything about.
    I then go through each clip and correct it for contrast, colour etc.
    Then I do a render so I can watch it at full resolution in real time without suffering dropped frames etc.
    It's at this stage I start to think that I might have pulled it off if I just apply a bit of magic to this clip and that clip and spend time working out what I can do to make it look acceptable.
    Once done I rise and repeat a few times until I'm happy.
    I will then post it on here for review and listen to what has been said and go back and do any needed tweaks from the comments made (Your comments are important).
    When this is done I upload to YouTube for the client to look at. Touch wood they don't usually need much in the way of changes just a re wording of a title usually.
    Once these are done I'll upload it to their YouTube channel for the 30 or 40 views they usually get !
    Why do I bother ?

Very different from my way of working MB but very interesting. Great to see how the other half do their thing
    Last edited by enc; 11-25-2015 at 06:37 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I had trouble installing Resolve. My Graphics card isn't good enough Radeon HD 5800. :/ That'll teach me to skimp on the graphics card but at the time of building the system Vegas didn't really make use of the card so I didn't bother with what I got.

My approach to editing depends on what I'm working on, if it's my footage or not etc.

For a piece that I'm editing that I didn't shoot I have to upload the footage into my head first by viewing the clips
    Then I usually go into despair as to how I'm going to produce something with such ropey footage.
    Then go through the process of talking myself into thinking it doesn't matter how bad it looks so long as I can get the message across
    I then make a kind of mental storyboard in my head and put the clips on the time line.
    I then revue the piece and start adding cut a ways etc. to visualise the narration, interview from what is being said.
    After going into despair that I don't have a particular shot I'll speak to them who will usually come up with "I've got a photo of that somewhere in my 15 thousand or so sized achieve" [of unorganised photos].
    I then figure out a way of getting round it some how.
    Once I've got a basic edit I look at the audio dealing with the EQ, peaks etc. I usually end up manually dropping the volume of all the peaks and spikes.
    Now that I'm happy with the audio, I'll think about music, intros, titles etc. and come up with a basic idea.
    I'll then work on and change this idea many times.........until I think it looks right.
    This is now at the stage that I call a basic edit.
    So I review and tweak fitting to music, trim a clip here and there. Try to ignore the things that bud me that I can't do anything about.
    I then go through each clip and correct it for contrast, colour etc.
    Then I do a render so I can watch it at full resolution in real time without suffering dropped frames etc.
    It's at this stage I start to think that I might have pulled it off if I just apply a bit of magic to this clip and that clip and spend time working out what I can do to make it look acceptable.
    Once done I rise and repeat a few times until I'm happy.
    I will then post it on here for review and listen to what has been said and go back and do any needed tweaks from the comments made (Your comments are important).
    When this is done I upload to YouTube for the client to look at. Touch wood they don't usually need much in the way of changes just a re wording of a title usually.
    Once these are done I'll upload it to their YouTube channel for the 30 or 40 views they usually get !
    Why do I bother ?
    seems like a lot of steps

Claude Shannon explained that the least likely events carry the most information - translated to film this means that you should scrub anything normal or expected right out of your production before you finalize it - sometimes I end up with nothing at all and give up - OK so now you all know my secret

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123