Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you do yours?

Default How do you do yours?

How do you edit your projects?

A rough cut from start to end then add transitions, colouring and everything else aftrwards.

From the beginning adding transitions, colouring, music etc as you go ....making it quite polished as you move along the timeline

other method ?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

2. Default

Start timer

Pick shots from my various cameras and transfer them to my iPad mini 2 then open up iMovie

Lay out a rough cut with nothing added

watch the darned thing

start removing shots until it doesn't seem too long

swap the shots around a bit if it makes things more interesting

add a couple of transitions

add a few titles

add background music and/or some loops

watch the darned thing again

upload to youtube

copy link to this forum

stop timer before it reaches 60 minutes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    How do you edit your projects?
    Interesting you should ask as I was about to ask the same thing as I'm seriously tempted to start working in DaVinci Resolve 12 which now seems to have a serious editor.

I'm unclear about what people do when they edit in one NLE and then grade in another package. Specifically, what's the next action when the client, wife, daughter, common sense demands additional material/edit changes. I mean you have all the material in (eg) Resolve, but it no longer relates to the edit you first graded. How do you manage that (assuming you don't re-grade the whole thing)

Anyway, to answer your question...

I edit and composite first. Usually I'll take one scene at a time working from a rough edit to what I hope will be a final edit (it never is). I'll probably make colour decisions as I go - definitely correcting WB/exposure etc to get some sort of balance between shots. I'll then probably do overall colouring (grading, if you like) at the track level (in Vegas - this basically means one set of grades is applied to all the "clips" on that track. Then I'll move onto the next scene (which I may put on a different track as I may want a different overall grade).

Any serious composite work, I will round trip into HitFilm and actually render the result so that Vegas doesn't have to work too hard.

However, If I move to Resolve, I will lose that ability to send a clip from the Vegas timeline directly into HitFilm, composite, and send back.

Erm ... that's not at all helpful, is it?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio Capellini View Post
    Start timer

Pick shots from my various cameras and transfer them to my iPad mini 2 then open up iMovie

Lay out a rough cut with nothing added

watch the darned thing

start removing shots until it doesn't seem too long

swap the shots around a bit if it makes things more interesting

add a couple of transitions

add a few titles

add background music and/or some loops

watch the darned thing again

upload to youtube

copy link to this forum

stop timer before it reaches 60 minutes
    i find it incredibly tedious editing inside ipad or iphone. to make intricate edits ... the ipad just cant cut it (pun intended) anything with more than a couple of cuts is a non starter for me
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Interesting you should ask as I was about to ask the same thing as I'm seriously tempted to start working in DaVinci Resolve 12
    ooooo !! step after that... http://www.tnpbroadcast.co.uk/camcor...lBohoCo0Pw_wcB

its a slippery slope Tim

whats the thinking behind moving onto Davinci? seems a big investment of time and money ?

edit: so i just had a mooch and you can download the basic version fro free ! still unsure if im ready to learn another editing program from sctratch .... ill have a look at some youtube tutorials .
    Last edited by enc; 11-22-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Interesting you should ask as I was about to ask the same thing as I'm seriously tempted to start working in DaVinci Resolve 12 which now seems to have a serious editor.

I'm unclear about what people do when they edit in one NLE and then grade in another package. Specifically, what's the next action when the client, wife, daughter, common sense demands additional material/edit changes. I mean you have all the material in (eg) Resolve, but it no longer relates to the edit you first graded. How do you manage that (assuming you don't re-grade the whole thing)

Anyway, to answer your question...

I edit and composite first. Usually I'll take one scene at a time working from a rough edit to what I hope will be a final edit (it never is). I'll probably make colour decisions as I go - definitely correcting WB/exposure etc to get some sort of balance between shots. I'll then probably do overall colouring (grading, if you like) at the track level (in Vegas - this basically means one set of grades is applied to all the "clips" on that track. Then I'll move onto the next scene (which I may put on a different track as I may want a different overall grade).

Any serious composite work, I will round trip into HitFilm and actually render the result so that Vegas doesn't have to work too hard.

However, If I move to Resolve, I will lose that ability to send a clip from the Vegas timeline directly into HitFilm, composite, and send back.

Erm ... that's not at all helpful, is it?

it is helpfull Tim. im always interested to see how others work... im back on the (seemingly) never ending quest to speed up my work flow.

Int

I'm unclear about what people do when they edit in one NLE and then grade in another package. Specifically, w
    r?
    only ever use Premiere... and the magic bullet plug ins for grading.... so doesnt really apply to my work flow .

Blog Entries

its a slippery slope Tim
    Dammit. Looks like a bargain. But not for someone with no money
    whats the thinking behind moving onto Davinci? seems a big investment of time and money ?
    Vegas is not going to be developed further (so I understand from comments on the SCS forum). Resolve 12 now has good (though not as good as Vegas) editing capabilities. The CC capabilities don't need a mention. The ability to make a mask, apply effects (eg increase exposure on the face, make the sky richer) AND AUTOMATICALLY TRACK IT all in the same track just knock me for six (I'd have to manually keyframe any tracking in Vegas and perform several steps in HitFilm to accomplish the same).

As for cost, well the software itself is free (and this is far from the "basic version". I don't think there is anything in "Studio" - the payfor version, that I'd ever use as it's geared towards sharing materials, 3D stereoscopic work. Supposedly I'd need an upgraded PC for anything realtime, but it works with my i7 2600K @3.6GHz/8GB RAM/GTX560 perfectly adequately for HD. I'll probably have to spend 2500 but it's a case of whether to spec it for Resolve (which will be good for HD only) or Vegas (which will be fine for 4K). Probably need to spend double that for 4K in Resolve.

Learning will be an interesting experience as I have grown up with Vegas over the past 10 years and consequently have a very good feel for how to do anything (or whether it's even possible). In other words I was learning to edit in parallel with learning Vegas. learning resolve will be trickier in that I'll know what I want to do, but not necessarily know where to find out how to do it. (Things like J & L cuts that I do without thinking in Vegas). That's just a case of learning, but whereas when everything was new I was happy to spend hours reading a manual, it's a bit more difficult to read another one.

Having sail that, it's only the editing that I'd have to relearn as I find the colour correction/grading super intuitive. I may bite the bullet and pay for some online training.

As for tutorals this page has some good ones. Suggest you start with No 10: https://www.rocketstock.com/blog/12-...ci-resolve-12/
    Tim

earlier i downloaded and intalled DR12 on to my everyday PC ... all was going swimingly untill i tried to import some footge ... apparantly that machine isnt up to the spec required . ill try installing it on my video editing machine next time i crank it up.

D

The CC capabilities don't need a mention. The ability to make a mask, apply effects (eg increase exposure on the face, make the sky richer) AND AUTOMATICALLY TRACK IT all in the same track just knock me for six (I'd have to manually keyframe any tracking in Vegas and perform several steps in HitFilm to accomplish the same).

-12/[/url]
    yep, im liking the sound of that ...

this demo makes it look a breeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8OaHAQT1fA

Blog Entries

Noise reduction is the other thing perhaps the only thing that I might use) that isn't in the Lite (now standard) version.
    Just try the tracked masks, enc, simple and magic!
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast