Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career advice

Default Career advice

Hi everyone,

I'm a novice when it comes to editing. I used to do it many years back as a hobby, but I stopped. I studied Mechanical engineering and worked as a field engineer in the oil and gas industry for a few months, and I couldn't take it so I quit. I wanted a different lifestyle, something that I could do on my own, that would allow me full creative control, that I could do in my own time whenever I chose to, and I was reminded of my old hobby.

Could I make a living off of editing? And let me define what I mean by editing here. Simply combining footage, music, and effects to create a work of art using a video editing software like Sony Vegas. No filming, no knowledge of Photoshop or graphic design, etc. nothing else. Sony Vegas is the only thing I ever used, and I only knew basic tricks and tweaks.

Could that be enough? Does a field like this have a lot of room to grow? What kind of career paths exist for a video editor? Could a video editors make six figures a few years down the line?

Money's not the most important thing ( otherwise I would've stuck with my old engineering job as it paid heaps), but it is still important, and it would be nice to know.

Also, I'm not averse to learning new skills and learning how to use new softwares etc., in fact I think it would be really cool to add that to my Arsenal.. it's just that I've been out of a job for a while now, and I want to know if it's possible to create a basic income with just the bare essentials.. something like 20K a year as a minimum. If that's possible, then I could just start working on some projects and learn what I need to along the way, and start building a career.. otherwise if I'm told I need to learn this and this and this and invest in that and take this boot camp etc. before I have a serious chance of making any reasonable money then I will have to look at something else. I just can't afford to invest that sort of time, money, and energy without any imminent financial return.

Really curious to hear your thoughts!

Well you could prbably offer this as service on Fiverr

Blog Entries

It all depends how good you are at marketing yourself and finding customers.

If you can find a wedding videographer who is useless at editing, or who has so much work that he/she can't do the edit themselves, you might make a few quid.

Otherwise no.

If you're working from home editing commercial projects you must have a dedicated room with all the mod cons. Visiting producers don't want to sit in the spare bedroom and dodge the washing in the loo. You should also have one of the "standard" editing systems like FCP, Avid or Adobe, not because they're any better than Vegas (they're not) but because that's what most producers will have worked on and know.

A freelance editor working away form home must be proficient (that means quick as well) with Avid, Final Cut and Premiere. Have a good knowledge of Audacity, Logic and other audio software and be able to work quickly with Photoshop and Lightroom.

And the "going rate'" (as opposed to the proper rate) for a cutter is 250 a day because there are so many graduates out in the marketplace.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Keemo View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm a novice when it comes to editing. I used to do it many years back as a hobby, but I stopped. I studied Mechanical engineering and worked as a field engineer in the oil and gas industry for a few months, and I couldn't take it so I quit. I wanted a different lifestyle, something that I could do on my own, that would allow me full creative control, that I could do in my own time whenever I chose to, and I was reminded of my old hobby.

Could I make a living off of editing? And let me define what I mean by editing here. Simply combining footage, music, and effects to create a work of art using a video editing software like Sony Vegas. No filming, no knowledge of Photoshop or graphic design, etc. nothing else. Sony Vegas is the only thing I ever used, and I only knew basic tricks and tweaks.

Could that be enough? Does a field like this have a lot of room to grow? What kind of career paths exist for a video editor? Could a video editors make six figures a few years down the line?

Money's not the most important thing ( otherwise I would've stuck with my old engineering job as it paid heaps), but it is still important, and it would be nice to know.

Also, I'm not averse to learning new skills and learning how to use new softwares etc., in fact I think it would be really cool to add that to my Arsenal.. it's just that I've been out of a job for a while now, and I want to know if it's possible to create a basic income with just the bare essentials.. something like 20K a year as a minimum. If that's possible, then I could just start working on some projects and learn what I need to along the way, and start building a career.. otherwise if I'm told I need to learn this and this and this and invest in that and take this boot camp etc. before I have a serious chance of making any reasonable money then I will have to look at something else. I just can't afford to invest that sort of time, money, and energy without any imminent financial return.

Really curious to hear your thoughts!
    i've been editing as a hobby since super 8 - I made my own light table and editing tools at the time to cut and splice the film - when I switched to digital I wrote my own mjpeg editor in C++ before caving in and buying pinnacle - my boss saw my hobby work and asked me to do some editing for the company's promotional videos and this worked for a couple of years but that stopped working out when it suddenly made more sense to hire a local A/V company to do the job cheaper, faster and better

I'd have no hope of making a living as an editor today - but maybe you've got what it takes

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    It all depends how good you are at marketing yourself and finding customers.

If you can find a wedding videographer who is useless at editing, or who has so much work that he/she can't do the edit themselves, you might make a few quid.

Otherwise no.

If you're working from home editing commercial projects you must have a dedicated room with all the mod cons. Visiting producers don't want to sit in the spare bedroom and dodge the washing in the loo. You should also have one of the "standard" editing systems like FCP, Avid or Adobe, not because they're any better than Vegas (they're not) but because that's what most producers will have worked on and know.

A freelance editor working away form home must be proficient (that means quick as well) with Avid, Final Cut and Premiere. Have a good knowledge of Audacity, Logic and other audio software and be able to work quickly with Photoshop and Lightroom.

And the "going rate'" (as opposed to the proper rate) for a cutter is 250 a day because there are so many graduates out in the marketplace.
    I think I'm missing some key bits of information on what a video editor really is here. Why would a producer need to visit? As an editor my job is to work on raw footage to create a compilation correct? So why can't a client or "producer" just send me their footage via dropbox and I'd work on the montage on my own then? Also, what mod cons are we talking about? What would I need exactly? Another thing is, why would I need Photoshop? And why would I need audacity? Lastly, 250 quid a day? You must be joking.. surely missing a decimal point somewhere no!?

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio Capellini View Post
    i've been editing as a hobby since super 8 - I made my own light table and editing tools at the time to cut and splice the film - when I switched to digital I wrote my own mjpeg editor in C++ before caving in and buying pinnacle - my boss saw my hobby work and asked me to do some editing for the company's promotional videos and this worked for a couple of years but that stopped working out when it suddenly made more sense to hire a local A/V company to do the job cheaper, faster and better

I'd have no hope of making a living as an editor today - but maybe you've got what it takes
    Thanks for sharing I don't know, I might give it a go..

Blog Entries

If you want to work as a commercial, pro editor, you really need to find out how professional and corporate video works.

The producer is in charge of the production. He may employ a director but on most smaller productions he might do both jobs. Whatever, he/she has the final say on anything. It's a bit naive to assume that they will simply give you the raw material and accept what you send back to them. He will want to be there to tell you what mood, style, pacing and feel they want. What music to use (if any) and whether a cut works or not.

There will be graphics, titles and probably effects. That will often require the use of something like Photoshop if you want to do it properly. Certainly you should be competent in After Effects.

Audio is a major part of any production. You won't be able to do everything audio-wise in Vegas. Some files may come as logic or audacity files and you will need to be able to work on them.

Considering the outlay you will have to make in equipment and software, training and gaining experience, 250 a day ( when you think what remains after tax, national insurance and expenses) is not a lot. If you want to earn 20k a year, it's not going to be a job you can do "cash in hand" and you can't use bootleg software either.

Maybe I misunderstood you when you wrote that you wanted to make a living from editing. If you want to do anything more than get a few quid from the occasional wedding video, you are right in your supposition that will "need to learn this and this and this and invest in that and take this boot camp etc. before I have a serious chance of making any reasonable money"

However... You can dip your toe in the water by approaching local videographers and asking them if they need a freelance editor.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 11-18-2015 at 04:00 PM.

If you want to work as a commercial, pro editor, you really need to find out how professional and corporate video works.

The producer is in charge of the production. He may employ a director but on most smaller productions he might do both jobs. Whatever, he/she has the final say on anything. It's a bit naive to assume that they will simply give you the raw material and accept what you send back to them. He will want to be there to tell you what mood, style, pacing and feel they want. What music to use (if any) and whether a cut works or not.

There will be graphics, titles and probably effects. That will often require the use of something like Photoshop if you want to do it properly. Certainly you should be competent in After Effects.

Audio is a major part of any production. You won't be able to do everything audio-wise in Vegas. Some files may come as logic or audacity files and you will need to be able to work on them.

Considering the outlay you will have to make in equipment and software, training and gaining experience, 250 a day ( when you think what remains after tax, national insurance and expenses) is not a lot. If you want to earn 20k a year, it's not going to be a job you can do "cash in hand" and you can't use bootleg software either.

Maybe I misunderstood you when you wrote that you wanted to make a living from editing. If you want to do anything more than get a few quid from the occasional wedding video, you are right in your supposition that will "need to learn this and this and this and invest in that and take this boot camp etc. before I have a serious chance of making any reasonable money"

However... You can dip your toe in the water by approaching local videographers and asking them if they need a freelance editor.

Appreciate the feedback mate.. based on what you've said.. I think I'd rather be a producer then, lol. I want creative control, that's the whole reason I enjoyed editing in the first place. I could cut images and video clips and combine it with music to create a masterpiece or to tell a story or something, you know what I mean?

Blog Entries

I do know what you mean, and sympathise.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that (at least not in 99% of productions).

The editor is like the cameraman, actors, lighting, sound, wardrobe... etc.etc. ie we're there to help the director put his dream into reality. (and even then, if the director's ideas don't fit with the producer... cue a change of directors!)

9. Default

I do know what you mean, and sympathise.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that (at least not in 99% of productions).

The editor is like the cameraman, actors, lighting, sound, wardrobe... etc.etc. ie we're there to help the director put his dream into reality. (and even then, if the director's ideas don't fit with the producer... cue a change of directors!)
    When I started out I had to design and build the camera, recycle used film by sprinkling silver nitrate powder and glue on it, do the acting, filming, processing, editing and I ran a small movie theatre in my basement to show the finished product - try to tell that to the kids these days and they won't believe you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keemo View Post
    I enjoyed editing in the first place. I could cut images and video clips and combine it with music to create a masterpiece or to tell a story or something, you know what I mean?
    The problem there (whether you're a producer, director, editor, composer, gaffer ....) is you're creating a work of art. There's no money in it (because son-one is going to buy it).
    Just look at the number of film festivals, the films on vimeo etc. These are labours of love but they are not products that will sell - hence the makers aren't making any money out of them. Invariably the professionals making these often world class films make their living out of making films for commercial organisations - promotional films, web films, instructional films, music video, adverts (OK the last two might have some artistic merit but the art is dreamed up by the marketing department). Basically you are just applying your craft to work that someone else has commissioned. Indeed, aside from the vanity projects you enter into festivals etc), the best way to have any real creative input is to work on local weddings if you want paying or for local bands if you don't.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast