Thread: how do you get a creamy DSLR video footage?

Angry how do you get a creamy DSLR video footage?

hello guys
    i wanted to ask some experienced shooters about image quality.
    I'm using canon 60d, usually shooting at 720p 60fps 125 shutter speed cuz I like to have that little slow motion availability,
    but I'm not satisfied with my image quality and I'm not sure what is cousing it to look somehow... over sharpened ?
    Just the opposite to what you'd call ''nice and creamy''...
    I'm not sure if it's purely due to the resolution (720p isn't that great after all) or to some other factor ...
    maybe some kind of bit rate, that I could manipulate on my camera.

Take a look at this video test:

https://vid.me/Ahoh

I'm not always unsatisfied with the recordings,
    it depends maybe on the amount of detail and contrast of the footage.
    Bokeh makes things smoother, but for example, water, or things that just have more detail to it look bad...
    at 1080p it's obviously better, but is it really just resolution? somehow it seems to me like it's some kind of pixel filtering,
    or like I said before, something to do with bit rate.
    This was a small video so I rendered it with the biggest bit rate, like you see on the screenshots below.
    Any advice on rendering will be appreciated as well. Usually i try to keep the bit rates as low as I can not to lose much of the quality,
    so I don't end up with a totally overweight file.
    Thank you guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (330.7 KB, 4 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (353.1 KB, 1 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (353.3 KB, 1 views)

2. Default

The dreaminess you are looking for is called "shallow depth of field"

this should be described in your 60d manual but if it isn't then you can find some explanations online - basically you set your aperture so you can focus on something sharply in the foreground while everything in the background looks dreamy - or you can focus on something sharply in the background while everything in the foreground looks dreamy - or you can put Vaseline on your lens and everything will look dreamy

no no it's not what I mean. The dreaminess of the bokeh just hides the imperfections of the image,
    but it's not what I'm talking about. It is the quality of the sharp, focused image.
    I think it might be just the fact that im shooting in 720p because I'm looking now at my 1080p footage and it looks perfect.
    So I don't know....water for example, has a lot of contrast in it (light reflections and dark water) and a lot of moving lines.
    This usually looks rubbish,pixelised etc.. you can see it on the video i uploaded in this thread - the first close up,
    you see the electricity cable there in the air, and it's diagonal, and it looks like a stairways made of pixels,
    instead of a diagonal line. I know it is a close up, and it is probably the resolution thing. But if you look on the water on the same shot...
    the movement looks strange. Like if there was something wrong with the linings of the pixels...
    like if the whole image was striped with invisible stripes that mess the smoothness of the whole picture....
    Or is it just my eye, and those shots look just as a 60d videos in 720p should look?
    cheers
    Last edited by lene; 11-17-2015 at 09:12 PM.

How you describe it my impression is that you are just not satisfied with a resolution of 720p.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    How you describe it my impression is that you are just not satisfied with a resolution of 720p.
    bwahaha - I think I figured this one out

I love my GoPro footage but my iMovie edits at the exact same resolution blow chunks - that's when I discovered my GoPro footage is recorded at 35 Mbps while my iMovie editor spits it back out at 25 - and it definitely looks a lot shabbier on the big screen

how many Mbps is your footage at? It should be a big number

It's called aliasing. It's a technical thing to do with the sensor. You can try stepping back a little to see if it goes away or knocking it out of focus if you know how. Basically it's what these sort of cameras do. One of the drawbacks of using a DSLR for video.

Have a look on YouTube to see what people do to deal with aliasing.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It's called aliasing. It's a technical thing to do with the sensor. You can try stepping back a little to see if it goes away or knocking it out of focus if you know how. Basically it's what these sort of cameras do. One of the drawbacks of using a DSLR for video.

Have a look on YouTube to see what people do to deal with aliasing.
    humph - yes - this sounds like the problem - lack of some sort of signal processing filter for video

In fact, provideocoalition.com (a ragtag band of bi-curious individuals who spend their time pondering these esoterica) points additional blame at Canon for the way they downsample from their sensor - who knew

well thanks a lot Midnight Blue ! thats exactly what i was talking about, now I know what my problem is.... cheers!