Thread: Dealing with inconsistent background noise

Default Dealing with inconsistent background noise

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to editing. Although I've been using Premiere for a few years on and off, it's mainly been for little projects. However, now I'm starting to use it more and aim to try and build a bit of an editing portfolio.

Anyways, I'm working on a short scene at the moment. Mainly as an exercise but I'll also be using the final piece in an acting reel. I'm fairly happy with how the cut is going but I'm struggling to deal with the inconsistent background noise. This is a cut with cc, grading and any sound design removed.

I've tweaked gain and volume to get the speech levels as correct as possible, but the background noise shifts from full on road/wind/trees to almost nothing from cut to cut. What's the best way of combating this? I've tried pulling the audio into Audition to remove the background noise from the louder shots but that's been fairly unsuccessful. I've also tried using the wild track from the park along with an atmos track to boost the background noise in the quieter shots. However, both solutions are less than ideal.

What would you suggest here? Noise reduction, boost background or something totally different?

Thanks in advance.

2. Default

Well, the po'boy solution to this is to split the soundtrack at all the locations where speech comes in and goes out - if you look at the waveform you will see the speech and just split at the beginning and end of each word or run of words - then just cut out the non-speech sections - add your ambient track when you are done
    Last edited by Vittorio Capellini; 11-13-2015 at 09:32 PM.