Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE TONE - Raindance Entry

1. Default THE TONE - Raindance Entry

Hi all,

I entered this to Raindance this year and would love to hear your opinions!...

Thanks

Blog Entries

Wow! That's a bit of a change from the other films you've posted here. Really liked the shots and the looks - in particular the warm look which seemed more unusual.
    Sound, acting and editing all added to this to make a great looking film.

All a bit over my heard though - too cryptic for me.

[WARNING - the following contains spoilers. I advise others to watch the film and draw their own conclusions before reading further]

What I took from it was this: We are in some dystopian future after some "tone" but, we don't get to hear this or any idea how people in the film hear it. What's more, the delivery of the word "tone" is not great in the opening line. I didn't know what he said the first time and only really got it when I listened again having remembered the title of the film. We are looking back to a happier time for the two protagonists, they were happily expecting a child. Now they are no longer happy (indeed she has a tear rolling down her face), They are still together but have become distant.

They may or may not have lost the baby.
    That may or may not have been caused by the tone.
    Their distance may or may not have been caused by the tone.
    She may have deliberately aborted the baby so as not to bring another life into this new unhappy world.
    That may have caused their distance.

It's all a bit unclear to me.

I didn't understand the debt business. And I could only see it was a debt by pausing the film (for what it's worth, on first viewing what I managed to see in the shot was the words ..."interest 40,000" which could either be a debts or it could be what the protagonist owns/is owed. Significant difference!

The only possible link I could find for this was the "I know things have been difficult..." but this line was in the "before" colouring whereas the debt letter was in the "after" colouring. I suppose it could be his flashback, prompted by reading the debt letter. Then again the two scenes weren't consecutive so I guess this is unlikely.

But then ..."I know things have been difficult lately" apart from him saying this, how do we know. In what way have they been difficult?

So, I'm sort of left with ... there was a mysterious tone about which we seem to have no clue and it has upset a relationship. Is that it?

I'm sure there's loads of other stuff that I've missed, but I wonder if you, being so close to the film (as writer, director and editor) are aware of all sorts of things that will pass the one-time viewer by. Or maybe I'm just unobservant

I'd appreciate an explanation at some point (especially pointing out anything I've missed)

Good luck in the festival. I'm sure this is the sort of film that'll go down very well.
    Tim

3. Default

As Tim pointed out the word "tone" was delivered poorly at the beginning and I had to rewind to see what I had just heard

the movie was great - the sound editing stood out for me

at first I thought the tone was a sound but at the end I started thinking that it was more of a global sudden-onset feeling of depression

in any event, great job

The only bad edit was 4:21 to 4:23. The only not so good shot was 4:47 mins not due to the framing but the focal point meant I had to search the screen for something in focus. Grading was very good. Audio was very good. Acting was good. Over all editing was very good. That's the techy stuff. Over all excellent work in all areas.

I thought the story was very good. It captured my interest, we knew there was something wrong but not what was wrong and I wanted to find out. I got that something had affected to whole world but that's the way my mind works. It could have just being the couple who's view of the world had changed. I don't really mind.

I felt I'd watched a well crafted film with depth that made me think and affected me emotionally. What more could you ask.

Great job Charlie or do we have to call you Charles now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    we knew there was something wrong but not what was wrong and I wanted to find out. I got that something had affected to whole world but that's the way my mind works. It could have just being the couple who's view of the world had changed. I don't really mind.
    But you never found out whether it was just the couple or the whole world who were affected and, more importantly, you didn't find out what was wrong. Isn't that just another way of saying you didn't understand it either?
    Tim

I wouldn't put it like that. I think it was open ended, it made me think and we didn't get the usual Hollywood conclusions telegraphed. Some times we need that but I felt in this case it took us to a place where could make up our own mind as to why it all happened. I may just be in that kind of mood today, tomorrow I could be back on the thread demanding an explanation from Charlie what the hell was that all about then. lol

One thing I do know, it was a first class job, what ever it was meant to be.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    But you never found out whether it was just the couple or the whole world who were affected and, more importantly, you didn't find out what was wrong. Isn't that just another way of saying you didn't understand it either?
    we never found out what Edward James Olmos was saying to Don Johnson or Philip Michael Thomas in the old Miami vice series but the lighting and music were so great that it didn't matter - this film reminds me of Don Johnson - with the white suit and blue shirt - coolness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio Capellini View Post
    we never found out what Edward James Olmos was saying to Don Johnson or Philip Michael Thomas in the old Miami vice series
    I never watched that, but I'm guessing that as it was a cop show we discovered who did what and to whom. Don't get me wrong I don't mind a plot where the outcome is inconclusive, but here I was frustrated in that I never came to any conclusion not just about the outcome, but the plot as well. I'd like to know whether that was your intention, Charlie.
    Tim

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I never watched that, but I'm guessing that as it was a cop show we discovered who did what and to whom. Don't get me wrong I don't mind a plot where the outcome is inconclusive, but here I was frustrated in that I never came to any conclusion not just about the outcome, but the plot as well. I'd like to know whether that was your intention, Charlie.
    I don't think there is a conclusion

i checked it out and this 8 minute movie has a 45 second trailer - this tells me that Charles has stones - and I think that's what his movie is about - "I've got gigantic stones and I don't care if it is inconclusive, you simpering little tw@t" - or something to that effect

10. Default

Hello all, "Charlie" here!!

Thank you for all the kind comments. The explanation for the movie is as follows:

The "elite" figure out a way to control the masses via a frequency, THE TONE!....it essentially takes away peoples emotions, ability to fight the system so to speak, people just go to work to earn money to pay taxes and debts they cant afford!! (sound familiar).

You are all correct to a degree in what the film is about. We see the characters before and after the Tone and how it has affected them personally.

I know from making this film that I kind of bit off more than I could chew in terms of explaining all of this in under 10 minutes. If I could make it again, it would probably be longer with more info on the Tone itself, but you live and learn and I am making my next film now

On the whole I am proud of the film, the whole thing was shot for less than 500 and the crew consisted of me, a 1st AD and a sound recordist......thats it!

The whole thing was shot on a second hand GH2, with a 25mm f1.4 & 14-45mm Panasonic lens. For lighting I bought some dirt cheap soft box photography lights. It just goes to show you do not need expensive equipment!

Keep it real!!!

Charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast